Talk

Advanced search

millies wolfheart for lab puppy<confused>;

(26 Posts)
TheHumancatapult Sun 28-Dec-14 11:43:08

Have looked at the dog food comparison site and millie wolfheart seems to come out top

Says suitable from a puppy to right through yet other places recommend a specific large breed puppy food .which is the correct/best advice to go with

Dad is from working stock he is not going be a little dog either looking at his size now of 3,1/2 weeks. Breeder sends regular photo updates

will obviously use whatever breeder is at first and then mix it to change over

Focusfocus Sun 28-Dec-14 13:11:16

Hi there,

Millie's is meant to be for working dogs, although I feed it very successfully to my small breed, she is thriving on it. Millie's from what I see is formulated to be high in protein, have no grains, and good quality veg to combine with the meat.

They have an activity scale on their website so see where your dog will be along that scale in terms of activity and order some samples for £1.50 each. Try it out to see what works.

Food and nutrition is so important in puppyhood, and Millie's is an excellent choice.

I do do some homemade as well so my puppy has 2 meals of Millie's kibble and her dinner is homemade each week with a bag of frozen natures menu mince which boils, and into which I put various fruit and veg whatever's in the freezer or fridge like carrots, peas, blueberries, cranberries, courgettes. That makes up a weeks meals for my small breed.

Millie's on it's own would be fine of course, I would try to see you find a high quality protein, grain free variety. Millie's ticks all boxes!

WeAllHaveWings Sun 28-Dec-14 14:26:38

Food for working dogs is exempt from VAT. Most dog food sellers who sell their products as working dog are only doing it so they don't have to charge VAT, making their food more competitively priced. The food is suitable for all dogs.

Puppy specific dog food usually is higher quality than adult dog food, with higher quality meat proteins, fats and nutrients to give the pup what it needs to grow and develop.

Millie's is such a high quality food so doesn't need a puppy specific variety.

Read the Millies website FAQs and it should answer most of your questions. Or join their facebook page where you can get lots of advice from other Millies users.

Bubble2bubble Sun 28-Dec-14 14:35:46

I had a six month old puppy here when I changed all the ddogs over to Millies Wolfheart.I spoke to them, they reassured me it was absolutely fine, and I fed all dogs from 6 months to 8 years the same food which was great.
I really rate it as a food, ddogs are very happy and and lovely condition on it.

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Dec-14 14:46:38

What's wrong with the food the breeder uses?

WeAllHaveWings Sun 28-Dec-14 14:52:34

Breeders do not always send pups off with a good food. When we got our lab he was on Skinners, after researching, we preferred to switch to a higher quality grain free food.

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Dec-14 15:05:16

Good breeders pick food very carefully because nutrition is important.

MissRainbowBrite Sun 28-Dec-14 15:06:58

Our Springer pup switched from Wainwrights puppy to Millie's at about 8 months with no problems at all. She has the Farmers mix and loves it. I ordered 3 of the sample bags to start with, turns out she loved them all so I just picked one and ordered a 12kg bag.
Also, as its higher quality with no "fillers" the amount you give is less than cheap food.

PersonalClown Sun 28-Dec-14 15:20:45

I switched my dogs to Millies a few months ago.
They are thriving on it. I have a grain allergic Staffy so I don't want a food stuffed with fillers and crap.

aleto Sun 28-Dec-14 16:13:35

We've fed our lab puppy on Millie's since he came to us at 8 weeks old. He thrives on it. Glossy coat and firm poos (apart from when he eats something he shouldn't and has the runs!). I would recommend it to anyone.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 28-Dec-14 16:28:01

Is James Wellbeloved any good? My friend raves about it.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 28-Dec-14 16:59:59

Check it out on allaboutdogfood.co.uk. James WB is nearly 40% rice for around £50 for 15kg and imo an average food. save moey and buy Skinners 40% rice for £36.

Or spend £50 on a bag on a decent food like Millies which is grain, rice, etc free.

TheHumancatapult Sun 28-Dec-14 17:22:22

thank you yes he is a lab and planning to do puppy classes and also other training with him as he gets older so he be a busy active dog.

Tabulahrsa

While appreciating you are trying to help with your reply .

I have actually spoken to breeder over what she uses and yes it is a good one .but i need to consider fact I will be buying online as I do not drive and can not get hers so easy and since this will be my only dog and i am wanting to make sure what i use is correct and suitable

MissRainbowBrite Sun 28-Dec-14 18:07:04

If you email or phone Millie's they are really helpful and will advise which foods might suit. I think they are on Christmas break at the minute but check their website.
They use DPD for deliveries who are really good and send you a text with a delivery slot or if the slot is no good leave a message via your tracker number for the driver with where to leave the parcel. Deliveries are within 2-3 days of placing the order.

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Dec-14 18:39:26

Availability is a perfectly good reason to change foods...that's why I was asking.

I just see a lot of threads about changing food and rubbish food should be a huge red flag about the breeder.

I can't get that food is completely different though, lol.

The whole puppy food vs the same food - there are a few good quality foods that don't come in puppy versions, I wouldn't worry about that.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 28-Dec-14 21:07:46

Bloody hell that Millie's is expensive. £50 for a sack of dog biscuit! shock

aleto Sun 28-Dec-14 21:15:23

We buy the Millie's gundog mix which is £37 for 12kg. Our puppy is 6 months old and eats roughly 400g per day. When he was younger he ate a lot less. 12kg used to last roughly 6 weeks. Now it lasts about a month, but that is still only just over £1 per day. I'm not sure how much other dog foods cost per day but it is worth it to me because it is very good quality food.

Focusfocus Sun 28-Dec-14 22:20:38

Thinking of it as complete nutrition, rather than 'dog biscuit' might help to justify costs. In the sense that, I'd be very unwilling to pay a high amount for the equivalent of biscuits for me so for say a bag of Gingernut cookies. But complete and balanced, meaty nutrition round the month, with added vitamins and supplements and oils with it? Yep, worth it.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 28-Dec-14 22:35:46

msadora can you suggest a cheaper alternative "dog biscuit" which is grain free, made from high quality uk sourced proteins and doesn't contain any other nasties (raw feeding is not suitable for my circumstances). I'm always happy to save money.

Nottinghill1 Sun 28-Dec-14 22:53:52

We have a 7 month old Cavapoo ,obviously not a working dog,can a dog like this have Millie's?

Aked Mon 29-Dec-14 11:52:25

Yes Notting, it is a suitable food for all breeds whether working dog or not. It is great stuff!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 29-Dec-14 13:46:17

No I can't wings, I was just shocked at how much manufacturered dog food costs. Our butcher sells minced raw meat and it doesn't cost as much as that.

Aked Mon 29-Dec-14 14:51:05

It still works out fairly cheap though, you feed less as food like Millies has such high nutritional value. My Flat Coat x is just under 20kg, and a £50 14kg bag of countryside does her just over two months. So about 80p a day unless my maths is completely wrong!

She isn't a working dog, just a happy hacker.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 29-Dec-14 16:40:46

Aked fgrin

Can you mix the two? Raw and processed dry?

SinclairSpectrum Mon 29-Dec-14 17:09:59

Not really MrAdora, they are digested at different rates - unless you are feeding grain free like Millies in which case you could. But not sure why you would want to?
I know raw looks intimidating but it isn't when you get going. Seeing your dog munch down a chicken wing with satisfaction is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now