Talk

Advanced search

Rescue dog still not reliable in the house - help

(11 Posts)
EdYouKateShaun Sat 27-Dec-14 23:42:57

I have a rescue (someone who knows someone who knows someone rather than a rescue centre iykwim) who we have had for 2 months now. Our other dog is prefectly house trained and can hold for hours (if for example she does not agree with the weather). New pup is now 10m old and still soils inside almost every day.

We let her out into the garden at least once an hour and any time she looks antsy.
She gets out into the scrub behind the house 4-5 times a day as well as walks.
We really praise her when she goes outside.
She has another dog she can copy.
She is crated whenever we are out (short bursts as I work from home).

She will have an accident if our back is turned, usually if we are upstairs.
We don't know much about her previous life except that she spent significant periods of time outside (dawn to dusk most likely).
She is a pedigree breed that can take a while to 'get' house training.

What else can I do? Please help!

MuttonCadet Sat 27-Dec-14 23:45:14

Just keep trying, and make sure you've used biological powder on the area to totally remove the smell.

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 27-Dec-14 23:46:45

Still early days & she is young with some bad habits to unlearn. Keep up with the positive reinforcement & use lots of newspaper/ old towels she'll get it!

LoathsomeDrab Sat 27-Dec-14 23:53:21

It sounds like you're doing everything right (though like a previous poster said, make sure you're using either bio washing liquid/powder or a proper cleaner where she's gone inside) so I'd just keep at it.

It can sometimes take a dog longer than you'd expect to crack house training. One of my rescues wasn't completely reliable in the house until she was 2 years old. She's completely bonkers very easily distracted and I think she just used to forget what she was supposed to do. Once it did click for her though she was absolutely 100% reliable, she's never had an accident in the house since.

crapcrapcrapcrap Sun 28-Dec-14 00:46:03

Letting her out once an hour - so you go with her? If not, you need to. It's boring but unless you're there to witness the pee, you can't reward it immediately and so it will take much much longer for her to learn. Somebody on here recently used the fabulous analogy of letting a toddler run loose without a nappy and expecting them to work out how to use a toilet themselves grin

EdYouKateShaun Sun 28-Dec-14 08:16:42

Thanks guys. We either go out with her each time or stand at the door and watch. She is always in sight and always congratulated (although she looks at me like I'm bonkers).

It's all wooden floor or tiles downstairs (Thank god) so I've just used antibacterial cleaner. Do i still need the bio cleaner?

insanityscratching Sun 28-Dec-14 12:01:20

Can you try giving her a word to associate with toileting? Eric was house trained within a couple of weeks and much of his success was down to him performing on command. Initially we took him out on the lead every thirty minutes and mooched round the garden, when he squatted we would say "pee pee good pee pee Eric" and treat. In no time at all we could go outside and say pee pee and he'd pee and poo to order (we later changed it to quickly as sing song pee pee off the garden was embarrassing.

R4roger Sun 28-Dec-14 12:03:05

i read the congratulations should be low key. ie. not too much praise because she will want rewarding for going at all, including inside.

R4roger Sun 28-Dec-14 12:03:36

low key congratulations seem to do the trick with mine. that and knowing where she is at all times.

insanityscratching Sun 28-Dec-14 12:28:17

I treated Eric because he performed to command so treating him for following a command rather than treating him for peeing. Once he had established being house trained I stopped asking him to perform and the treats stopped too although it was handy when the weather was awful to hurry him up a little so he did occasionally get asked to perform to save me getting wet and cold.

EdYouKateShaun Sun 28-Dec-14 12:30:37

Ok. So I'll pretty much keep going with what I'm doing. Keep praise low key. She will do a pee on command most of the time.

Any idea whether I need the bio cleaner on wooden floor?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now