Talk

Advanced search

Final words of wisdom

(5 Posts)
StarDustMonkey Sat 27-Dec-14 20:55:51

So we are getting our puppy tomorrow morning and I am both excited and scared! (normal right?)

Any last words of wisdom ? grin

basildonbond Sat 27-Dec-14 22:22:59

Ooh enjoy it and take lots of photos

I hope you've completely puppy-proofed the area he/she will be in!

Life skills for puppies by Daniel Mills is essential reading for new puppy owners (you can download it from Amazon)

Good luck smile

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 29-Dec-14 22:25:31

Pictures please!

What sort of dog is it?

SinclairSpectrum Tue 30-Dec-14 09:03:43

Expect the bits you thought would be hard to be a breeze and vice versa. Try to relax, enjoy it, even when sleep deprived and wiping up wee. The intensive first few weeks really are just that, it gets much easier really quickly.

CMOTDibbler Tue 30-Dec-14 10:22:33

Simple solution accident spray. And a ginormous roll of clean up tissue. Because even if you take them out on grass every hour or more, inevitably at some point you will be distracted by something and the floor will get washed again.

And, just like having a baby, remember the puppy hasn't read the books. Go with who they are, and work with their strengths and preferences.

Oh, and remember training is something you do several times a day, everyday. Make everything an opportunity to cement your core training needs - mine are recall, sit, wait and leave it. They can do other commands, but those 4 are the things I need them to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now