Talk

Advanced search

My dog has been given one of those filled bones for christmas.

(19 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Wed 24-Dec-14 09:36:04

I don't want to give him the bone (are they meant to be actually eaten or just emptied?) I can just scrape out the filling and chuck the bone can't I?

Mummyinamask Wed 24-Dec-14 09:41:39

Yes, probably but might be tricky to get filling out. No, they don't eat the bone, just the 'marrow'.

Why don't you want dog to have bone? Are they bad in some way? DD has bought our dog one for Christmas.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 24-Dec-14 09:50:08

Well I know my dog, the dozy git would probably try to eat the bone and break a tooth fgrin

I don't mind him having raw bones but I'd never give him cooked bones (assuming this one is cooked...)

MistAndAWeepingRain Wed 24-Dec-14 09:55:36

I'd scrape out the filling personally.

Those bones can be dangerous if they splinter. Dogs can choke on the fragments.

Mummyinamask Wed 24-Dec-14 09:59:08

Hmm, we have a terrier so pretty tenacious when it comes to chewing fsmile and she's never broken a tooth one one, not that she has them often. I don't know if they're cooked or treated some other way to harden/sanitise them but they've been ok for us.

Others might have different experiences.

Our dawg is no great thinker or judge of when to stop (bit of a terrier failing/virtue, depending on your pov!) so if they were fragile, she'd probably expose it! She's not big though so might depend on size.

DDog also has raw bones for tomorrow - sadly not marrow (none of butchers had any) - but lamb, as that's all we could get yesterday.

Hope you and your hound have a merry Christmas whatever bone s/he gets!

SpicyBeat Wed 24-Dec-14 10:16:26

I wouldn't feed the bone. If it has been processed then there is a risk of splintering.

I would also have a look at the ingredients for the filling before feeding and check it's not toooo junky.

tabulahrasa Wed 24-Dec-14 11:16:13

It will be complete junk in it...I've never seen one that isn't, but if you're ok with a bit of junk (I figure as my dog's diet is good, he can cope with the odd thing that's awful, a bit like children, lol)

They tend to suck/lick out the filling first, then try to scrape off the last few molecules...that's when they chew the bone bit, so if you give it to him and watch for that it should be fine.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 24-Dec-14 11:29:40

It's a turkey and cranberry one, the ingredients say 'meat and animal derivatives (turkey meal 10%) oils, fats, cereals and cranberry flavour (0.1%)' so yeah it's pretty much utter crap fgrin he gets a fairly good diet so the occasional bit of junk like this is equivalent to what a McD's/bag of Haribo etc. would be for us.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 24-Dec-14 11:45:20

Ooh I just had an idea. I'll scrape the filling out and put it in his kong fsmile I can't guarantee that I'd be able to watch him all time with it tomorrow so I reckon the kong is the way to go.

muttynutty Wed 24-Dec-14 14:01:19

I would throw away both. Cooked bones are lethal to all dogs and the crap unhealthy stuffing could cause an upset tummy - not what I want to be dealing with on Christmas Day smile

LokiBuddyBoo1 Wed 24-Dec-14 15:26:41

I'd scrape the filling out and like you said put it in a kong as those bones can splinter my father's dog had one and it splintered and she ate some of the shards before we realised, lucky that she passed the bits with no problems but she won't be having one again.
so I would either chuck it all or scope out the filling and chuck the bone.

SpicyBeat Wed 24-Dec-14 22:38:50

Don't get me wrong I do allow some junk but I'd be careful feeding something with that oil and fat content to a dog not used to it. Could end up with a code brown!

TheCunnyFunt Wed 24-Dec-14 22:53:02

Oh don't worry, he's got a very strong constitution, he's eaten all sorts in the 3 years we've had him and the only bout of diarrhoea he's ever had was due to a bug! He even ate an entire box of After Eights (literally, box and wrappers included!!) and didn't even have bad wind fhmm

fjalladis Thu 25-Dec-14 01:27:00

Personally I think there no worse than kongs!!! I've yet to see one that's not pretty thick bone and smooth. I have yet to have one splinter and ours last for ages before they go manky and get chucked away. Personally I refill them with sandwich fillers. These bones have lasted far far better than a kong which has been destroyed within an hr both times my dogs had them!

Iatemyskinnyperson Thu 25-Dec-14 01:55:16

Holy crap, our lab eats entire bones from roasts, down to shards. Didn't know that was bad. Won't do that again...

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Thu 25-Dec-14 01:59:12

The one and only time my dog had a filled bone he went off his food for a day and had runny poo and brought up bile. Wont be repeating that anytime soon!

Salene Thu 25-Dec-14 02:33:42

My dogs have been eating bones for years, never had a issue with it. Certainly not dangerous. My Staffie loves grinding a bone down, spends hours in the garden doing it.

TheCunnyFunt Fri 26-Dec-14 07:32:03

Raw bones Salene or cooked? Raw bones are fine, I give them to my dog. Cooked bones however, are incredibly dangerous.

GobblersKnob Fri 26-Dec-14 08:02:14

I have never had a problem with filled bones, my Stafford used to have those huge postman leg roast bones things every Christmas, would last him a month or two. I give roast pox tail tips too though the bones in those are very easily crunched.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now