Talk

Advanced search

What breed would be right for us?

(22 Posts)
CheerfulYank Tue 23-Dec-14 18:47:31

We just lost our old dog. sad We miss him so much and aren't ready for a new dog yet, but I'd like to do some research into what kind we'd like.

Our dog was the only one we'd ever had (he was mine before I was married and had the DC). He was a mixed golden retriever/German shepherd (with possibly other things.) He and all the dogs I had growing up were mixed breeds from accidental litters around the neighborhood, or dogs we adopted from the shelter.

My DS is quite excited to choose "his own" puppy this time, so we are thinking we will go the breeder route if we can find a reputable one.

This will probably be our only ever puppy. I love them but they are so much work! After this I would like to adopt shelter dogs, but this one time while the DC are young we'd like to get a puppy and because we'd like to know roughly what size it will be when full grown, we'll stick with a certain breed this time.

But I don't know which kind! confused We'd like a smaller breed but not a tiny. Short hair is better. My DH has mild allergies; he is fine if the dog is brushed and bathed often and the hair is vaccummed up. Our dog had so much hair that it was a bit of an issue though.

I'm home all day as a part time childminder. (Just three days a week, nine months of the year.) We have a large yard and are outside a lot.

We have two DC and I'm due with #3 in June. (Will not be adding a baby and a puppy at the same time! grin) DS is seven years old and DD is 19 months.

So, to sum up, smaller breed, short hair, good with kids. Attention is not a problem as I will be home all day; it wouldn't be alone. Any suggestions? We were thinking a beagle (were actually thinking of looking for one before, but stopped when our old boy got sick.) People seem reluctant to endorse them though and say they're runners and noisy. I don't mind some barking though, I miss it!

Focusfocus Tue 23-Dec-14 18:56:11

Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Lhasa Apso?

I have had small dogs all my life and not one has lived up to the yappy/irritably bouncy reputation they have.

Currently have a Shih Tzu Bichon cross who has been a treat to train, exercises herself madly on our big garden, loves her off lead park runs, is entirely non-shedding by which I mean absolutely no hair shedding and adult weight is likely to be 6 kilograms. Perfect cuddle buddy for the sofa, and nope not yappy in the least.

Previous one was a Lhasa Apso, same features except that it would shed.

Before that had spitz and spitz cross of the smaller kind.

Small dogs get a bad rep for yappiness, and hyperactivity and so called tearing around, but having had now four of them in flats to house - have never had that issue at all.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 23-Dec-14 19:02:26

I've got a bichon frisée cavalier spaniel (cavachon) cross who I adore. Doesn't shed hair and is crazily cute. There are some reputable breeders who do all the health tests on the parents.

How about a border terrier, didnt they win best family dog or something? Wire haired dogs don't tend to shed hair.

I've got a wire haired Podengo which doesn't shed and is small.

tabulahrasa Tue 23-Dec-14 19:12:55

I was going to say staffy, but it might be an issue as a childminder as people are really prejudiced about them.

Do you want short hair because of shedding? Or grooming? Lots of longer coated dogs don't shed, poodles, bichon frises.

CheerfulYank Tue 23-Dec-14 19:16:12

Both. Easier to bathe and not too much shedding would be good.

Are staffies the same as pit bulls? I'm in the US. smile I've known some lovely ones but people are very prejudiced, it's true. Same with Rottweilers and dobermans.

Someone mentioned corgis to me. They seem to have a lot of hair but they are very cute. smile

CheerfulYank Tue 23-Dec-14 19:19:07

And I don't know if it makes a difference but I live in Minnesota, so winters can be -25 (or colder) and summers can be 34 (or hotter). Obviously our dog would be inside most of the time anyway, but I do feel bad when I see tiny little dogs trying to do their business in two feet of snow. smile

tabulahrasa Tue 23-Dec-14 19:20:19

Oh in the US, no staffies are a lot smaller than pit bulls, but a similar stigma. They'd be English Staffordshire terriers (as opposed to American ones which are different).

Corgis...hmm, they're supposed to be feisty and because they're herding dogs, can be a bit nippy as well.

YorkshireAtHeart Tue 23-Dec-14 19:22:18

A pug they just sleep all day and are good for a childminder because you don't need to fuss about with them. Their extremely good with children and are great fun as puppies. My dd is petrified of dogs but since having our pug shes better with dogs. They are fun and mischievous!

MehsMum Tue 23-Dec-14 19:42:16

Schipperkes are small, short-haired and easy to groom. They are also very tough and I'm think they are pretty healthy too (some small breeds - cavs and pugs for example - are not). Their downside is that they can be a bit stroppy (though ours wasn't). I am planning one for my dotage.

Beagles are not famous for their recall. That said, they are dazzlingly cute and the ones I know seem very jolly characters.

Good luck with your quest for a puppy. It might be worth having a word with your vet about breeds, and their temperaments and health issues: vets should be well up on both of these...

LokiBuddyBoo1 Wed 24-Dec-14 00:21:11

I have a jackhuahua ( jack russell cross chihuahua) he's the perfect mix of both bigger than a chi but smaller than a jack, he's not as delicate as a chi but also not as high energy as a jack.
He's not yappy only barks when someone is at the door.
And he is great with kids my neice who's 5 dresses him up and plays with him he even let's my 21 month old nephew play with him. Never once even growled at them.
I think little dogs get a bad rep as being yappy/ snappy ankle biters who you shouldn't have around kids but this is not true if brought up around kids they can be great little companions for children.
If you live somewhere a little colder maybe consider a small spitz type breed.

MillyMollyMama Wed 24-Dec-14 01:18:30

I have a Lhasa Apso and they do NOT shed any hair! This is a particular feature of a Lhasa Apso and I have my dog's hair cut about every 8 weeks but his tail is kept feathered and his legs are kept with longer hair. A show Lhasa Apso will have floor length hair which is obviously high maintenance. (Have a look at the pictures of Elizabeth who won Crufts a few years ago).

My dog is a male. He is about 13 inches at the shoulder and this means he is huge for his breed. Females will be smaller. However he is friendly, not remotely yappy, in fact rarely barks. He loves people and is very well behaved when out for a walk. The only minus point is that Lhasa Apsos are not particularly trainable. They are very independent and ours looks at us quizzically when asked to do something he is not keen on! Don't expect a Lhasa Apso to obey all your commands! He has strong ideas of his own. He is, however, a fun dog, a happy dog and, now he is 9, a faithful dog. They are also long lived. 15 or 16 is quite normal. Definitely worth a look and I have friends with Tibetan Terriers and I would recommend one of these too.

MillyMollyMama Wed 24-Dec-14 01:20:56

I have just noticed your dog would be inside for most of the time! Not sure any dog would like not having walks!

CheerfulYank Wed 24-Dec-14 01:29:35

No, we take them for walks of course! smile I just meant they would live inside.

It's farm country around here and some people have dogs that live outside in barns etc.

Nottinghill1 Wed 24-Dec-14 05:35:16

He have had a cavapoo (cross cavilier King Charles/poodle) they are wonderful with children and don't shred.

SignoraStronza Wed 24-Dec-14 06:09:38

I'd always say to go for a German Shepherd pup - especially as likely to be around children. But then again, I'm biased. grin

SinclairSpectrum Wed 24-Dec-14 12:32:35

Is there a particular reason for wanting a small breed? Maybe look at characteristics of the dog that would suit, ie low shedding, great with kids etc and see what comes up? Loads of fun breed selector quiz things online which may give you some ideas.

needastrongone Wed 24-Dec-14 12:44:27

Cocker spaniel smile

outtolunchagain Wed 24-Dec-14 12:47:10

I heve a cocker .. Lots of hair!What about a mini schnauzer

needastrongone Wed 24-Dec-14 12:52:49

Mines a working cocker, so much shorter, less dense coat. Minimal shedding and he's clipped anyway as grooming isn't really my most favourite aspect of dog ownership. Friendly, cheerful, biddable gentle little soul.

adarkwhisperinthewoodwasheard Wed 24-Dec-14 12:55:03

Labradoodle? Whippet?

CheerfulYank Wed 24-Dec-14 12:58:15

Sinclair just to make things a bit easier with grooming and transportation and things.

Our house is fairly small too and our old boy was really too big for it with all the kids running around. smile

SinclairSpectrum Wed 24-Dec-14 14:08:18

Ah, was going to throw a Spinone in the mix - fabulous with kids, lazy in the house etc. I am very biased though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now