Talk

Advanced search

Gunky eye - vet trip?

(7 Posts)
basildonbond Sun 21-Dec-14 21:16:19

Ddog has a gunky, weepy eye - he seems to be prone to this (and it's usually a sign he's a bit under the weather). When he's had it before it's cleared up quite quickly with fucidin (sp?) cream.

Do I need to take him to the vet or can I get the cream without a prescription? Or is there any other diy treatment I could use? (Am bathing it with cooled boiled water)

lemisscared Sun 21-Dec-14 21:21:19

they shouldn't give you the fucidin without seeing him unless its a recurring problem they are aware of. If there is damage to the cornea fucidin is not great. see how it goes and keep it clean. id be inclined to ring the vet and ask for something to bathe it with as the salt water may irritate things.

HowsTheSerenity Sun 21-Dec-14 21:24:02

Mine have the same but due to under productive tear ducts and I just use liquid tears or similar. When it's more of an infection I use over the counter human antibiotic eye drops. Vet said it was fine as it was the same as dog eye drops and cheaper too.
I don't tell the pharmacist it's for my dog though. Some won't sell them to you. It's amazing how often DH needs eye drops :-)

Bartlebee Sun 21-Dec-14 21:26:14

If my (old) dog ever had gunky eyes, I would get antibiotic eye stuff from the pharmacy, rather than pay extortionate vet bill.

rastamam Sun 21-Dec-14 21:32:08

Yes to going to the vets if the water isnt helping. Do not get antibiotic eye cream from the pharmacy without checking with the vet, the eye could be damaged seriously by putting the wrong thing in it (if there are any ulcers etc). It needs a proper examination and its worth doing it now before christmas as eye things can be painful and get worse quick especially if hes rubbing at it etc.

MitchellMummy Mon 22-Dec-14 07:29:00

I usually use cold tea bags in the first instance. But I'd get him to the vet - you don't want to be going to emergency vets over Christmas.

basildonbond Mon 22-Dec-14 07:46:18

Thanks - I will try to get him to see the vet today (definitely don't want to be heading down the emergency vet route over Christmas...). Poor little thing - we've all had flu so I suppose it's his turn to be unwell too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now