Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a puppy training book please?

(8 Posts)
SevenSwansASwimming Sat 20-Dec-14 18:31:49

We're getting a labradoodle puppy in mid-January. My parents had dogs when I was young, DH has never had a dog so we're not that clued up about puppy training. I'd rather buy a book someone can recommend rather than just order a random one from Amazon.

Gingerfudge Sat 20-Dec-14 18:50:59

You need a puppy care book and a training book, don't buy a combined book. Suggest for training you get your head around clicker training, sounds more technical that it is...works like a dream.

SpicyBeat Sat 20-Dec-14 19:02:15

This one is good:

Life Skills for Puppies

basildonbond Sat 20-Dec-14 19:12:12

I'd second Life Skills for Puppies and kikopup videos on YouTube for clicker training

crapcrapcrapcrap Sat 20-Dec-14 23:40:09

Another vote for Life Skills - best puppy book out there. It won't teach you how to train commands, but it will help you bring up a resilient, confident and happy dog which is pleasant to live with!

Camsie30 Sat 20-Dec-14 23:44:58

Its Me Or The Dog by Victoria Stillwell. She's fantastic and her method is reward based, so kind and fun. Have leant it to friends who have loved it too

SevenSwansASwimming Sun 21-Dec-14 13:34:06

Thanks smile

Arkkorox Sun 21-Dec-14 13:36:28

Avoid anything by Mr Mexican - Ceasar Milan... the blokes a twat. Dont shoot the dog by Karen Pryor is brilliant and so is the Dog Vinci Code. Anything that talks about dominance or pack theories needs to go in the bin.

Def reccomend Kikopup videos on youtube too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now