Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lost my beautiful boy and feel completely daunted about finding a new dog (sad)

(3 Posts)
paddythepooch Sat 20-Dec-14 14:09:48

We lost our beautiful lurcher boy in October to Lymphoma - he was only 3. It was so shocking. He was such a stunning and gentle dog - we would get stopped all the time in the street. He had a way of touching your soul with a gentle lean.

We are now tentatively starting to look at rescues for another dog but I just feel so daunted by the whole process. I know the things I loved about him - gentle, extremely calm (except when off the lead!), quiet, snuggly but not needy, very trainable, loved children (adored my DD more than anyone else), hairy, and OK with the cat. I also know more now about what I don't like - if that makes sense. I do know we need to avoid getting a dog that looks like him - we made some tentative enquiries and then pulled out when I realised the potential dog had a look that reminded me of Mr P.

Any words of wisdom from those of you who have been through anything like this? I suppose I just want someone to turn up on my door step with the perfect dog.

5EllipticGoldRings Sat 20-Dec-14 14:21:02

I lost my first lab when he was 8, to a very aggressive cancer. I felt absolutely bereft without him, especially as DH was working away a lot at the time. I tried to replace him almost immediately and went to several breeders to look at puppies and also to a rescue before I realised it was much too soon.
It took nearly six months before I could get myself in the right frame of mind to look for another dog without just looking for a replacement for my old dog. Although I eventually chose another chocolate lab he couldn't be more different; his eyes are a different colour, he is a different shape, and his personality is completely different. I also changed my routines so I could give my new lab his own identity as much as possible and also keep separate memories of my previous lab.
I don't know if any of this helps, but I can understand what you are going through and hope it works out for you.

brunette123 Sat 20-Dec-14 14:32:06

hello
I lost one greyhound last year and my second in February this year and I really do not know how I got through losing either, especially the second as it was just him and me and he was my best mate. For the first weekend he was gone I actually slept on his duvet on the floor and even thinking of him now makes me teary. I started doing voluntary work at the local dog rescue in April and got to know the dogs there. They are mainly staffie crosses. I did look at other greyhounds but I couldn't bond with them I think because my others were so fantastic. So there was a disabled staffie X at the rescue and I started to take him home for the odd afternoon here and there to get him out and have some company - because I was volunteering there they let me and were fine about this and then I took him for a week on trial and kept him - I really understand it is daunting and I thought I could never take on another dog even though I need pets around me but the right one came along for me at the right time even though it was a different breed to that which I had imagined.
Some rescues will let you take them on home trial especially the greyhound ones and that really takes the pressure off I think.
I think being open minded helps as the new perfect dog may be totally different to your initial wish list.
I am so sorry for your heart break - it really is like losing a best friend and member of the family and even now 10 months on I cry over my greyhounds.
Your lad was so young and I bet you thought you would have years with him it is tragic. But you gave him so much love for his short life and I hope you remember that. Wishing you lots of love and hoping you will keep us updated. Maybe just visit some rescues and do some walking and perhaps the right dog will make themselves known to you - sometimes they choose us rather than the other way round. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now