Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Looking after friends dog - not eating. Help!

(11 Posts)
JingleBellsJuliet Fri 19-Dec-14 05:45:10

I've had my friends Border Collie here since Wednesday and got him til 6th January. He's a picky eater anyway, I know this, but so far he's not touched a single thing and I'm getting worried as he must be hungry. I've given him his regular food, some of my dogs food, biscuits with sardines on, ham, cheese, chicken... and he's not even gone near it. Also won't take any treats at all! I'm concerned that if this continues, he's going to be a bag of bones by the time they get home sad

Any ideas?

MarcoPoloCX Fri 19-Dec-14 07:44:13

It's a new environment for the dog so it's getting accustomed to it but no dog in good health will starve themselves. I'd play more, go for more walks and give cuddles and give his food as normal. Take the bowl up after 15/20 minutes if he doesn't eat it and re-offer later. Maybe try some boiled chicken with juice. Most dogs love that.

SpicyBeat Fri 19-Dec-14 07:51:18

It's probably stress. Hopefully if you set up a nice steady routine and also give him plenty of space he will start to get interested once he settles. Don't panic yet.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 19-Dec-14 08:37:58

Is he drinking? You could check his gums to make sure they're pranging back to pink as they should. We sometimes have dogs to stay and it does take a bit of time for things to settle down.

JingleBellsJuliet Fri 19-Dec-14 14:48:29

Yes he's drinking plenty, just not touching food. I've just brought some leftover cooked sausages home from work to give the dogs and he's not even tempted by them! It's the first time they've really left him, apart from one night the day they got married, and, although he sees me and my two everyday, it must be stressful for him.

Hippychick73 Fri 19-Dec-14 14:54:12

He won't starve as long as he is drinking he will be fine
He will eat when he wants to and not a minute before
Don't leave the bowl down for him if he won't eat it take it away after 15 mins or so
Out dog always sulks and refuses to eat if we are away and our son is feeding him for at least 3 days

One thing that works though with ours is raw green tripe in his food bowl
Very few dogs can resist the smell of disgusting green tripe

TheHappinessTrap Fri 19-Dec-14 18:30:27

One of mine won't eat when she's anxious. Could you contact the owners and see if they'd recommend anything?

JingleBellsJuliet Sat 20-Dec-14 05:48:07

Had a breakthrough fgrin He's just eaten a bowl of my dogs kibble with a tin of sardines! Phew! Relief! He was obviously just stressed and it's taken a few days to settle in enough smile

minkymuskyslyoldstoaty Sat 20-Dec-14 05:54:08

smile oh good.
he is stressed as in his mind he has a new home and doesn't know it's temporary.

TheHappinessTrap Sat 20-Dec-14 18:57:38

Fab. What a relief that must be!

JingleBellsJuliet Sat 20-Dec-14 22:52:11

He's eaten again this evening, so I'm happy! I'd spoken to my friend and she was worried about him, so it's relief all round. He seems to be settling, but he's very, very clingy, which is to be expected bless him. I find it so stressful looking after other people's dogs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now