Talk

Advanced search

Irish Terrier with two cats and children?

(4 Posts)
RainbowLoom Thu 18-Dec-14 18:51:08

Does any knowledgeable soul have any thoughts on getting an Irish Terrier in a household with two cats, and children ( youngest 18 months).
Or what breed would you suggest?
Thanks!

TuttiFrutti Thu 18-Dec-14 22:30:48

I've been told that any breed of dog can be trained to live with cats, except for...(a) Greyhounds/whippets/lurchers and (b) terriers. Apparently the prey drive is too strong. Sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear!

LoathsomeDrab Thu 18-Dec-14 22:44:40

I'm not much of a terrier person but I know plenty of people who have sighthounds and cats living harmoniously together.

I think most breeds if brought up with cats from puppies can get on with them just fine, though it does at least partially depend on how the cats are with dogs. You've a much higher chance of success with confident cats that will stand their ground in the face of a curious puppy than skittish ones who are likely to run and will be very inviting for a puppy to chase.

Or what breed would you suggest?

What on your list of requirements for a dog? Like grooming needs, exercise requirements, size, etc.?

RainbowLoom Thu 18-Dec-14 23:33:10

Thanks for these replies. Yes I think I have to accept right now it won't be the dog for us!
I would up for about one hour exercise a day, and fine with kids and cats. That's the essentials that have to be met when looking for the right dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now