Talk

Advanced search

Harness recommendations for lab puppy then as older

(5 Posts)
TheHumancatapult Thu 18-Dec-14 15:29:44

I am planning on using a harness rather than collar and lead as will be walking My dog from a wheelchair a lead and collar is awkward angle from my chair for dog and myself having tried with various friends dogs and for unclipping and clipping on .so needs the clip to be on the back

Can anyone reccomend a good harness please

Nesspot Thu 18-Dec-14 22:19:30

In my experience it depends on the shape of your dog and how bouncy they are! One of mine wears a cheapo Pets at Home harness as it fits him perfectly and, as he generally walks in a straight line, stays put. The other one has a no-pull/halti type harness that has clips at her chest and back that we attach a double ended lead on to. We have much more control over her that way as she's a bit of a Tasmanian devil at times. It also fits well - we found that some of the other ones just didn't suit her shape and ended up twisted.

Having said all that, some dogs just don't suit a harness at all as it actually makes them pull more. There's a lot of collar/harness/lead combos and sometimes it can be a bit trial and error to get one that suits.

With our second dog we actually only use the harness occasionally as we have found it easier to train basic commands with her on a halti head collar and flat collar with the double ended lead. Like I say tho, she has some issues!!!!

yummumto3girls Thu 18-Dec-14 22:54:31

My vet recommended a "perfect fit" harness for our dog. Arrived this week and she is a different dog. Less stressed and didn't pull as much. You measure their girth and then order the size according to acharya.

TheHumancatapult Fri 19-Dec-14 08:26:54

Thank you

reason for harness as be walking from wheelchair be easier for both myself and the dog as in regards positioning of the lead .Have tried walking friends dogs with collar/harness to find what seems to work best

Being a lab I am expecting to be pretty bouncy for a long time to come .But want to get them used to a harness from a young age see sees it as normal

Jammygal Fri 19-Dec-14 20:24:19

I have perfect fit for my lab. It is great as comfy for dog can easily be adjusted and stops the dreaded pulling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now