Talk

Advanced search

raised feed bowls or not

(12 Posts)
TheHumancatapult Thu 18-Dec-14 13:03:06

We are collecting our puppy end of January .

obviously at first i know not raised feed bowls but what is the current theory for larger breeds like labradors

YouLoveItDoreen Thu 18-Dec-14 13:19:31

I feed both of my raw fed dogs from normal bowls (low down), I say that as raw feeding for both of them has seemed to slow the eating process right down, which in my understanding reduces the intake of air, which is the issue. DDog1 is a Collie and DDog2 is a 1 yo Lurcher, I did a fair amount of reading before purchasing DD2's bowls as she had previously been on dry food at the rescue centre and had raised bowls there. I looked at go-slow anti-gulp bowls too, but felt it would be worth seeing how she ate at home on her new diet.
Are you dry feeding? As I think, for me that would be a factor in my decision.
Stuffed Kong's are always received well here too, they are a great way to encourage dogs to take their time over food.

VeryStressedMum Thu 18-Dec-14 13:31:43

My lab has raised bowls though she didn't always but saw it very cheap in ikea so got it. She ate fine with the bowls on the floor though so not sure if it makes a difference.
My pup has little raised bowls they are for a cat as they were the smallest I could find. But it was more because the bowl got pushed around the floor when he was eating.

BloodyDogHairs Thu 18-Dec-14 13:43:49

My 2 GSD have raised bowls only because I was forever kicking the water bowls over confused

TheHumancatapult Thu 18-Dec-14 15:23:42

thank you .

Yes am planning to use Dry food,he comes with some from the breeder and depending what they use will check nearer time. I may switch very slowly by adding bit of new food over to another brand

yes im wondering if will catch it with my wheelchair if on the floor

YouLoveItDoreen Fri 19-Dec-14 00:29:56

There are a variety of weighted bowls which may help with your wheelchair. Although a food bench may be better than the stands with the four horizontal feet as they stick out a bit. You've got a fair amount of time before you'll need to make a decision. I think allowing your dog to rest for a while after exercise before you feed them is more important than the height of the bowl.

TheCunnyFunt Fri 19-Dec-14 19:08:49

My greyhound has raised bowls, he really struggles with bowls on the floor, his front legs go all splayed like a giraffe and they tremble slightly with the effort of bending down and eating.

Varya Fri 19-Dec-14 20:37:56

My Doberman has raised bowls but not in his previous home. I think they are recommended for larger breeds.

CMOTDibbler Fri 19-Dec-14 21:38:52

I have raised bowls, and they also have the advantage of staying in one place for an enthusiastic eater

mrslaughan Fri 19-Dec-14 22:40:36

the reason for deep chested breeds like labs (and also other giants which mine falls into) is to help prevent bloat (other than with greys when there legs are just too long)...my understanding from our breeder (who used to recommend raised bowls)is that raised bowls don't make a difference and maybe even make it worse. However that raw feeding has a positive effect on preventing bloat.

TheCunnyFunt Sat 20-Dec-14 09:58:42

MrsL are you saying Greyhounds aren't deep chested? Because they are, as well as being very leggy! Whippets are deep chested too, and some Lurchers (depending on their cross).

CookieMonsterCrumbs Sat 20-Dec-14 14:08:34

We got raised bowls for our collie cross sohe didn't have to bend down so much in his older years. He has since passed and we now have a staff who uses the same bowls. He barely needs to bend at all and looks really comfortable eating. Although he often takes a mouthful and walks into another room and spits it out and eats it. I put this down to him being a nosey bugger lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now