Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy your flea and worm treatments?

(14 Posts)
dillite Wed 17-Dec-14 16:27:05

My vet charges £15 for a prescription + £28 for Advocate flea and worm 3pack, which seems insane. Where do you buy your treatments for? Do you think that I could get a prescription for more than 1 pack to make it a bit more cost effective, or will it be refused?

marne2 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:28:25

I buy 'advantage' on Amazon, it's almost as good as 'advocate' for fles but does not cover worms, I buy Drontal (sp) for worms.

dillite Wed 17-Dec-14 16:36:11

Does it need a prescription on amazon?

ReindeerCarpaccio Wed 17-Dec-14 16:38:17

I buy it from the vet - they have a membership thing where worm and flea products are included as well as some health checks.

Drontal is for tapeworm only.
Advantage is for fleas and ticks only.
This combination doesn't treat or protect from lung and heartworm according to the packaging and our new vet and nurses.

I used this combination for a while as it was sold to me as being enough for my dog. But we do live in an area with quite a few lung and heartworms so I've switched to Advocate (lungworm, heartworm, fleas and ticks) and Drontal.

NotPennysBoat Wed 17-Dec-14 16:41:14

Try VetUK online, the cheapest I've found and they have the usual brands as well as unbranded copies.

BellaVita Wed 17-Dec-14 16:54:32

I buy Advocat at the vets. £23 for a pack of three.

VeryStressedMum Wed 17-Dec-14 17:09:01

I use advocate from the vet and drontal.

IAmNotAMindReader Wed 17-Dec-14 19:07:13

Advantage and Panacur. Panacur covers a wider variety of species of worm than Advocate. Advocate is however easier to administer as with Panacur you need to calculate the correct dosage for weight rather than treat by a certain weight range.

dillite Wed 17-Dec-14 22:03:48

I was wondering, can you file the same prescription with two different places? There are two websites where I found Advocate much cheaper but as the prescription only states 1, I was wondering if I could use it with two websites and buy one from both?

NotPennysBoat Thu 18-Dec-14 07:20:43

You don't need a prescription on VetUK. I've never had a prescription, didn't know it was a 'thing' for regular
worming/fleaing!

toboldlygo Thu 18-Dec-14 12:49:27

You do for prescription medication, NotPennys, which Advocate and some of the others mentioned on here are. Basic fipronil based flea stuff, Drontal etc. don't require one.

dillite the prescription will have a unique identifying number so should not be able to be used more than once. Is it just three pipettes they've written it for? Most vets will be happy to do six month's worth at a time.

It's sometimes cheaper to just buy direct from the vet, for instance ours do a three pack for about £23, it'd be £17 from VetUK plus £10 prescription fee.

dillite Thu 18-Dec-14 15:34:56

Thank you. I will see if I can get more than 3 pipettes prescribed as then it will be more cost effective.

pegster Thu 18-Dec-14 15:52:45

My prescriptions for flea & worming products are reusable for up to 12 months of treatment from the check-up they are issued from. They are usually issued for a pack of 3 or 6 but then have a repeats number saying how many times it can be re-used.

Kim82 Thu 18-Dec-14 15:54:42

I buy it from the vets, it's £21 for 3 pipettes of stronghold which treats fleas and worms. That'll last 3 months if you only have the one pet so not expensive at all. I have 3 cats though so it costs me £21 per month for it but it works so it's definitely worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now