Talk

Advanced search

DH accidentally left our spaniel out all night....

(18 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Mon 15-Dec-14 08:15:02

I went to bed, DH locked the door and came to bed 15 minutes later and didn't realise our 7 year old cocker spaniel was outside.

He only realised at 7am.

I'm livid but he seems okay, just wet through and a bit shaky.

This probably sounds stupid but do you think he's okay??

Should I do anything?

He's exhausted, he's laying under a throw on the sofa and can't keep his eyes open...

LaurieFairyCake Mon 15-Dec-14 08:17:22

Where are you in the country - was it freezing last night?

Was there shelter?

Why didn't he bark? sad

I would take him to the vet and get him observed in the warm for the day. I hope your house is currently really warm for him

HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 15-Dec-14 08:17:56

Oh no! Poor lamb sad didn't he bark?

Get him dry, keep him warm, lots of love, water and tasty food --none for your DH --You might give the vet a ring just to let them know it's happened and they can tell you what to look out for.

curiousgeorgie Mon 15-Dec-14 08:20:28

In in Surrey... It was cold but I have no idea what the temperature actually was.

There's my daughters playhouse, but I don't know if he went in there, and it's quite openness not strictly 'shelter'

I have no idea why he didn't bark. Considering barking is a problem for us! I'm baffled. We have a family of foxes living in our garden too and they're brazen... I'm surprised he didn't bark at them at least?

I can't believe this happened. I'll call the vet when they open.

Mashandpeas Mon 15-Dec-14 08:20:45

Hypothermia? Poor lad.
Think I'd give the vet a quick call to be on the safe side.
Hope he's ok.

Blu Mon 15-Dec-14 08:21:57

Do dogs get hypothermia?

Mashandpeas Mon 15-Dec-14 08:25:25

Apparently if their coats get soaked through ......

curiousgeorgie Mon 15-Dec-14 08:26:54

He's not used to being outside for so long. He sleeps under our bed or on my DD's big stuffed dog... I can't imagine how awful it was outside in the dark and cold all night confused

Blu Mon 15-Dec-14 08:27:06

I know nothing at all about dogs, healthy, cold or hypothermic, but I would be concerned because he us so sleepy / lethargic .
see here
Spaniels don't have thick coats, do they?

motmot Mon 15-Dec-14 17:36:37

A friend did this recently, similarly the dog only started some very low level whining outside their window 8 hours later! Poor chap.

curiousgeorgie Mon 15-Dec-14 17:44:16

He's been moody with me all day and completely knackered.

I feel terrible that he was outside all night... I just want to give him fuss but he's just laying under the table sulking sad

outtolunchagain Mon 15-Dec-14 18:08:26

I have a five year old cocker , I hope yours is OK , did you ring the vet ?I can totally see how this could happen ours has an annoying habit of getting trapped outside and. If he sleeps in different places I can see how you wouldn't realise.

They are excellent at guilt tripping you , it's the eyes, he probably didn't sleep much and is catching up now.

We have barking as well by the way

NCIS Mon 15-Dec-14 20:15:19

We did this with our springer when she was about 7, she was fine but I felt sooo guilty and even now with the present incumbent I frequently have to go downstairs in the middle of the night and check he's in even if I'm absolutely sure I remember letting him in.

QueenInTheNorth Tue 16-Dec-14 22:15:09

Awww! poor baby! get him some nice meat, does he seem okay now?

atonofwashing Wed 17-Dec-14 21:03:48

Oh poor you and ddog.
As the others say, u might get him checked over by the vet.
I am sure he's exaughsted and making u feel guilty abt his chilly night.

My parents have 2 springers and they have the annoying habit of disappearing during the last walk of the night. They live in the countryside, so no real danger, but they often come back late at night so are sin binned for a while!

Odd he didn't bark though.

Extra large Santa sack for ddog, this year? ;-)

lemisscared Wed 17-Dec-14 21:07:19

Make dh sleep outside tonight - he has to learn!

atonofwashing Wed 17-Dec-14 21:24:25

Ha ha lemisscared, i am sure quite a few would agree with you on that!

TheHappinessTrap Thu 18-Dec-14 16:25:04

Your poor pochie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now