Talk

Advanced search

Please help! Please.

(8 Posts)
inmyshoos Sat 13-Dec-14 11:03:55

I have asked for advice recently as collie 1yr old has been guarding me and other things from my big daft labx.

It is getting worse.

Today i came into lounge to find my poor labx sitying facing the corner on our sofa with the collie staring and lip curling at him. I sent collie to bed which he immediately does looking v. guilty.

I went to shower ds leaving dd1 and dd2 on other couch watching tv. Next thing i can hear dogs having full on fight and both my dd's got a real scare.

I am so fed up with this. Both dogs are from sspca. Had labx from 4 yr old now 8 and is neutered. Collie since around 10 weeks and he is currently intact. Had been advised to leave as late as poss but now thinking this might help. I am getting desperate. Cannot have two dogs scrapping in my lounge where my children are.

Out on a walk collie is submissive to our labx. In the house he is a little bully imo.

Please help. I am so down in the dumps with this. Lost a much loved horse 4 weeks ago and feel i cannot cope with anymore stress at the moment sad

basildonbond Sat 13-Dec-14 11:14:17

You need to get a behaviourist in asap but in the meantime you will
have to separate the dogs for everyone's safety

You may well find that the cost is covered under your insurance

If you haven't already join Sally Bradbury's dog training advice and support group on facebook and ask for a recommendation for a properly qualified behaviourist in your area.

Buttholelane Sat 13-Dec-14 11:24:49

I am so sorry to hear this sad

If it's getting worse then a APBT behaviourist probably is the only way to go. X

Winterfable Sat 13-Dec-14 11:28:03

He is one year old? I think that's ok to be castrated now? I have a similar size dog and had him done earlier than that. I would have thought it would make a difference in his aggression.

Hope things get better OP.

Buttholelane Sat 13-Dec-14 11:29:15

Depends on the cause of his aggression, if it's hormone fuelled then yes, but if it's fear based then neutering could actually make it worse.

inmyshoos Sat 13-Dec-14 11:41:59

I don't think it is fear based. They both try to steal wood from side of stove. If collie lying chilling out and lab goes to try steal some collie will rush over and start the whole staring lip curl thing....

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 13-Dec-14 17:50:01

I had my boy neutered when he was three when he started to display aggression and behavioural problems when I was pregnant. He immediately returned to his lovely self. Definitely worked for us.

inmyshoos Sat 13-Dec-14 18:40:24

I know it isn't always the answer but as it is part of the adoption agreement from sspca where we got him I am going to arrange this snd see is it helps. Has to be done anyway and so worth a try.

Tearing my hair out tonight. He has started going under the table while we eat and will stare and lip curl at the lab. So i put them in the back hall/utilty area and the little shit has chewed all the flooring at the back door. I have removed the toys because they cause fights. So he fojnd the flooring to chew instead. He was in there for less than 20 mins while we ate and has cost me over 200 quid. I could cry. His crate will be coming out of the polytunnel tmrw and put back up.

Just to add that today he has been walked off lead around the forest twice and in between then has been out with the dc sledging. He also did some training with treats/toys although only ten mins of this.

Feel so stressed. It would take a lot for me to rehome a dog, it really would. My animals are part of the family. But his behaviour has st many times had me wishing we hadn't gotten him in the first place and it takes a lot to admit that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now