Talk

Advanced search

Spaying coming up, worried :-(

(5 Posts)
Focusfocus Wed 10-Dec-14 20:42:47

First time poster, just joined mumsnet, so please be gentle :-)

We've got a 4.5 month old Shih Tzu-Bichon cross - a lovely, fluffy teddy bear dog. She's been with us for 2.5 months now, and has been like a lump of soft clay - to train. Started asking to go out to toilet at 10 weeks, knows high five, roll over, leave, you name it she learns in about five minutes, became fully toilet trained at 3 months, has nondestructive or separation tendencies, shyness, nothing. Perfection in a pup. She is our darling.

We have researched the pros and cons of pre and post first season spaying and today took all that research and our doubts etc to our lovely veterinary practice. They gave her a pre operative exam, long one and said she is absolutely okay to be spayed now. No issues. And yes, they talked out pros and cons of pre first season spaying, and are happy for it to happen now.

That's it really. I am just worried if I am doing the right thing. She is a little teddy bear girl, who is truly the most obedient, kind, confident (confident enough to be chasing a Great Dane once...uhm, yep) - and playful little baby. I hope she can take the surgery. I repeatedly confirmed that she is old enough and the vets practice (a very reputed one) said yes.

She has been raised till now on James Well Beloved puppy food, and all treats are homemade by me - liver, salmon and chicken. A couple of weeks ago she moved over (gradually) to Millie's a Wolfheart Salmon and Veg. She is 4 kgs in weight, in perfect health and enjoys our huge garden all day, plus focused exercise of course. Giving you this background in case it's important.

Are we doing the right thing? Just the thought of handing her over on Wednesday morning is making me feel awful sad yet, this is all my planning of course, and I of course know it's best for her.

Attached a couple of photos of her :-)

orangeyellowgreen Wed 10-Dec-14 21:03:48

All well-brought-up bitches are spayed. She will be back to normal within a couple of days and her diet isn't relevant.

Focusfocus Wed 10-Dec-14 21:08:42

Thanks, that's reassuring to hear. I somehow trout it was at least a week of recovery and apparently two weeks of no significant exercise? Couple of days recovery makes it all sound a lot lot lot less scary suddenly.

NCIS Wed 10-Dec-14 21:16:01

I had both my bitches spayed pre first season with no issues, my last one lived to the grand old age of 14.5 and was really fit and healthy until her last year and even then was reasonably active. My first dog died in an accident so not really relevant but was fit and healthy when she died at age 7.
My sisters dog was spayed at six months and is now over 15 and still going for walks.

Fudgeface123 Thu 11-Dec-14 14:58:00

My lab pup was spayed before her first season at 6 months and I was worried sick. No need really as apart from a bit of whining when we picked her up (anaesthetic wearing off) she was fine and back to her bouncy best in a couple of days. She didn't even need the Victorian collar as she left the wound alone [proud mummy]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now