Talk

Advanced search

Puppy Food

(10 Posts)
StarDustMonkey Wed 10-Dec-14 07:53:11

Hi,

We are picking up our Labrador puppy after Christmas, and I am trying to sort out what food we will get for her to eat. We don't have a massive budget, I.e we can't really afford £40 per 12kg bag of food.

I have narrowed it down, I think, to Harringtons Puppy Food or CSJ puppy food. What are people thoughts on these two?

TIA

NetHuns Wed 10-Dec-14 08:15:42

To be honest when pup first arrives I'd keep him on the food he's used to for a whilewink..

StarDustMonkey Wed 10-Dec-14 08:19:23

Oh we will be NetHuns, I am just trying to do my research into what to switch her to smile

CMOTDibbler Wed 10-Dec-14 16:21:46

Harringtons makes my puppy puke tbh. We use Burns and shop around for the current best price online

toboldlygo Wed 10-Dec-14 19:43:32

I personally wouldn't consider the CSJ - a couple of the adult varieties are decent quality but the puppy food is full of wheat and maize.

IMO the best 'budget' food is Skinners Field and Trial duck/turkey/salmon and rice - it's about £24 for 15kg depending on which variety, duck is usually the cheapest.

daisydotandgertie Wed 10-Dec-14 21:13:59

Good breeders don't pick a food just for the fun of it, they research carefully and choose the food they think is best.

If you have found a good breeder, stick with the food they have chosen.

And whatever you do, do not put a lab puppy onto cheap food. By all means swap to a cheaper brand once they have fully grown, but do not compromised with a puppy. They grow so fast, they need good quality nutrition to support the incredible increase in size - lab pups are born at approx 250g, and by 7 months old are in the region of 22kg.

I am a bit concerned you say you can't afford £40 for a large sack of dog food though - dogs are expensive to run. Jabs, worming, insurance, insurance excess for every claim, food, training classes etc. It adds up.

StarDustMonkey Mon 15-Dec-14 07:02:11

ok so I've spoken to the breeder and she uses green dog food http://www.greendogfood.co.uk/shop/turkey-and-rice-puppy-12kg/

this looks like it's a good food to me as it's meat, rice and veg. none of the beet pulp, maize and so on.

Also for £45 a 12kg bag it seems a good price?

what do you all reckon? I'm thinking I'll keep pup on this permanently.

StarDustMonkey Mon 15-Dec-14 07:03:11

Sorry I think the link will need to be copy pasted. I'm on my phone so can't link properly.

daisydotandgertie Mon 15-Dec-14 13:35:47

It's a decent food. I can't see a reason to swap him off it, there aren't any massive nasties lurking in the ingredients list, nor is it full of filler.

Sounds like your breeder has chosen food for the good of her pups, not her pocket! Worth sticking with. The breeder should send you home with a week or so's worth of food but it wouldn't hurt to get a sack in stock in good time - deliveries might be up the stick!

And I've just noticed a mistake with the newborn lab puppy weight. They're born at about 500g/1lb, give or take a bit. Down to careless fingers and brain. Sorry!

StarDustMonkey Mon 15-Dec-14 20:16:13

Np daisydot smile

That's good that I wasn't missing anything when looking at the ingredients. Yes the breeder definitely cares about her digs and isn't in it to make the most money possible.

She has ordered us a 2kg pack and I'll go and grab a 12kg one. luckily the petshop attached to our vets sells the stuff smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now