Talk

Advanced search

Buying a puppy

(14 Posts)
MyNameIsntTash Tue 09-Dec-14 18:13:27

Hi, just after some thoughts on some puppies we have seen advertised, I think something can't be right but DH thinks I'm being silly.

We have been looking at buying a basset hound for around a year now and have started looking for one now. We have seen some advertised cheaper than they normally are (£300) which first made me wonder. We also can't go look until the day they are ready to take home. What should we be aware of so I can talk to DH sensibly rather than just say it must be too good to be true. The mum and dad can be seen and it seems to be a family home.
Thanks

crapcrapcrapcrap Tue 09-Dec-14 19:06:39

Why can't you go and look until then - is it because you are busy or because the breeder won't let you?

Have you asked why they are priced low?

Bassets are an uncommon breed. To be honest I would expect good breeders to have a waiting list and to be quizzing you carefully to make sure you are prepared for the challenges of puppy ownership. The lack of questioning from them would put me off actually. I'd be concerned about a puppy farm background.

MyNameIsntTash Tue 09-Dec-14 19:11:56

Yes that's what I'm wondering, they were only advertised yesterday and will be 8 weeks Saturday.

I asked if we could go look tomorrow and was told it's not convienent until the weekend and that's when they're ready anyway.

There are plenty of photos and they seem to be a family home but there's no way of knowing I suppose. I just think they're too cheap.

MyNameIsntTash Tue 09-Dec-14 19:12:57

I haven't asked about the price, I want to though.

muttynutty Tue 09-Dec-14 19:25:53

Where are they advertised?

MyNameIsntTash Tue 09-Dec-14 19:27:12

Pets4homes

VetNurse Tue 09-Dec-14 19:29:21

Basset hounds get a multitude of problems including skin, eye, spine and joint issues. I would be very careful about picking a breeder as you want one who is trying to avoid breeding dogs with these problems. If a breeder has puppies left for sale at 8 weeks old, isn't grilling you and is not letting you see them until the day you pick them up then I can guarantee they are not a decent breeder! Screams puppy farm to me!

muttynutty Tue 09-Dec-14 19:40:39

Walk away - 99.9% puppy farmed

BabeRuthless Wed 10-Dec-14 06:13:14

They might not want you there until the day because the house you're going to may not be where the actual breeder lives. That way if you go back at a later date the person there can deny all knowledge. I agree with the other posters that you should walk away, something's off here.

Booboostoo Wed 10-Dec-14 06:53:37

Have you asked the usual questions? E.g. Are the parents health screened, for what exactly and do you have the paperwork? What is your breeding policy, I.e. what kinds of puppies are you trying to breed? How many litters do you breed a year? How many litters has this bitch had before? Why did you decide on this bitch/dog combination? Have you had pups from this bitch/dog combination before and what were they like? Have you had pups returned for re homing ever and why?

Preloved, gumtree, etc are all terrible places to find a puppy. Get to know your breed, get to know your breeders, select the breeder you want and approach them for their next litter. You may have to go on a waiting list but if you are desperate for a puppy it's better to go through word of mouth between the breeders to find someone who has had a last minute cancellation rather than someone trying to off load god knows what kind of litter in the ads.

Finally I would never trust a breeder who has a December litter. There is a reason charities do not rehome in December and the reason becomes apparent early the following year!

Floralnomad Wed 10-Dec-14 07:38:15

At best guess these pups are currently en route from Eastern Europe , if that is the case it's very unlikely that they will be 8 weeks old as most are imported younger than that . Do not go to see them , especially if you have children as it will be very hard to walk away without one and it's likely that you will then spend a lot of time and money with your vet and end up heartbroken.

MyNameIsntTash Wed 10-Dec-14 07:39:54

Ok thank you for all the advice, I'll speak to dh and we'll look for one from a proper breeder. Thanks again.

SinclairSpectrum Wed 10-Dec-14 10:17:58

Please register with Champdogs, its not infallible but its a much better place to start than pets4homes. A dog is a long commitment and a wonderful assert to your home but not so much fun if they are poorly socialized and riddled with health issues.
Good luck and make sure you post pics when you get your legitimate, worry free puppy.

Panicmode1 Wed 10-Dec-14 16:02:56

I echo everyone else - sounds v dodgy. We are getting our puppy over Christmas due to a combination of circumstances (main one being that the bitch we wanted to have a pup from coming into season to give a Christmas litter) - but I have been in constant contact with the breeder, have been to visit every couple of weeks and was asked a LOT of questions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now