Talk

Advanced search

My dog is too well behaved

(5 Posts)
Helgathehairy Mon 08-Dec-14 21:33:15

And I'm slightly worried!

DDog is a 2.5 year old male golden retriever. Full of life and energy and normally spends most of his day going out, then wants in again, then wants out again.

On Tuesday 16 month old DD went down with a D&V bug and I couldn't walk him or even play outside with him. Within a few days DH and I had come down with really bad colds and werent able to walk him. No dog walkers etc.

DDog has been brilliantly behaved. He hasn't bothered me for walks, he hasn't been doing his usual in/out ping pong, he's lying down all evenings quietly.

He seems fine in himself but it's actually worrying me a little how quite he is!

I've a feeling he's going to go bonkers when I finally get to walk him tomorrow!

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Mon 08-Dec-14 23:22:18

Dogs can be very intuitive. Perhaps he senses the illness in the house and is accommodating it? Ahhh. He's beautiful. I hope you give him an extra long walk once you're feeling better. Get well soon.

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 09-Dec-14 07:59:06

When I was pregnant my usually bouncy labs were insanely calm around me. And when MIL came to stay for a bit with her dodgy hips they suddenly stopped barreling around the house / pushing past people.

They're back to their normal crazy selves now though!

Dogs are amazing, aren't they!

SimoneAdriaan Tue 09-Dec-14 10:34:51

Dogs are so clever! they realise when their people aren't 'right'. I have struggled with depression and anxiety and on the (rare) occasions I would take to my bed, my dogs would come and batter the door until they were let in so they could lie with me.

Once, my Dad had an operation on his neck, it was a big op and quite serious but they got him discharged quite quickly, since my family dog was young she slept in my parents bed, and always close to my Dad, that night he didn't sleep well for obvious reasons, and neither did she, she would pat him now and then, and put her nose into his hand so he would touch her, it was like she was checking on him. They're clever, wonderful things are dogs.

Helgathehairy Tue 09-Dec-14 13:54:12

He's still being brilliant - it's slightly un-nerving!

He was actually great when I was pregnant too and stopped jumping on me. But I put that down to the heat (it was the very hot summer of 2013)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now