Talk

Advanced search

Breeder advises not to change food for 6 months but...

(5 Posts)
Panicmode1 Mon 08-Dec-14 15:59:39

the pup is being fed on Eukanuba Puppy at the moment and having spoken to various people, the meat content is not very high - there is a lot of grain - and although it used to be a great food, since being taken over by P&G, it's no longer very good, considering the price.

But do I really have to feed her on it for 6 months or can I move her over slowly to something more meaty and more nutritious sooner (i.e. 9 weeks when she arrives here)?

bakingtins Mon 08-Dec-14 16:05:07

I wouldn't change the diet immediately, let her settle in for a week or so then do a gradual change over 10-14 days to avoid tummy upsets, but 6 months is ridiculous! Any chance they meant she needs 'puppy' food for 6 months then can move onto 'junior' ? She will need a diet formulated for growth until she is fully grown which can be 9 months for a small breed and up to 2 yrs for a giant breed.

Chandon Mon 08-Dec-14 16:05:22

We changed brands a few times.

May get slightly loose stools for a bit, but I think it is fine after they are about 6 months and swap and change.

Chattymummyhere Mon 08-Dec-14 16:05:24

Just move her over slowly

1 week 90% old 10% new
2 week 70% old 30% new
3 week 50% old 50% new
4 week 30% old 70% new
5 week 10% old 90% new
6 weeks 100% new

You don't just want to switch which could upset pups stomach do it over a few weeks

Panicmode1 Mon 08-Dec-14 16:14:36

Thanks all - no I understand that I have to do it very gradually, and I don't want to upset her immediately on arriving so will probably wait a week or so before starting on chattymummy's regime. The chap in our pet shop is actually a dog nutritionist so he was brilliantly helpful with the strategy and alternative feeds to try.

bakingtins - no, she explained that she would need to be on puppy food for at least two years (she's a golden retriever pup). I was just surprised by the 6 months thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now