Talk

Advanced search

Puppy Nibbling/Mouthing Help

(4 Posts)
Geoff0409 Mon 08-Dec-14 10:29:28

Hello,

I am hoping that someone might be able to help or advise. We have bought a female puppy jack russell on Friday just gone, 5th December. We have children aged 7 and 3, both 1 month from turning 8 and 4. We took them with us to see the puppy and she was fine.
Over the weekend the puppy has been a bit "mouthy", where she kind of nibbles at/on your hands etc if she is excited. She also jumps up a bit at the children if they are playing on the floor. She doesn't do this all the time, and we keep getting her down and persisting with telling her NO.

This morning she has become quite nibbly with your feet as your are either standing or walking around. It doesn't worry me as I persist with her (I start early at work so am up and our before my Wife and the children are), but my Wife in concerned about the children. Alot of this is first thing in the morning, when she is particularly excited, or when one of us has been out and the returns home. Our daughter is nearly 8, and reasonably understands to keep telling the puppy "no" and getting the puppy down off of her, but our son who is nearly 4 is quite apprehensive. Our son now won't play on the floor as much as he did before, and if the puppy jumps at him he just backs away and gets up onto the Settee. This is upsetting my Wife considerably as she, understandably, doesn't want the children's own normal actions, playing and general behaviour to change.

We took the puppy to the vet for a check up on Saturday and she is generally ok. I completely understand that puppy's have certain beaviourial traits and instincts that need to be reigned in, and to have training, but obviously do not want my family worrying or changing normal beaviour.

Don't really know where to turn at the moment as I am at work so can't really go anywhere, but any help or advice you can give, or if you could point me in the right direction, would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for reading.

SinclairSpectrum Mon 08-Dec-14 10:57:52

This is completely normal puppy behaviour, it will pass but in the meantime you must all persist with the same reaction - a loud squeal or aah aah noise, distracting pup with a chew toy etc. Encourage kids to stand completely still and put hands across chest when pup gets excited. Kids tend to flap about increasing the tendency for pup to jump and bite. Being still = boring for dog. Some dog related reading may help your wife, doesn't sound like she really knew what to realistically expect?

Geoff0409 Mon 08-Dec-14 11:14:02

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes my Wife new what to expect. I hope I have been as good as possible over the weekend, it's just now I am out of the house and at work. I try to do everything I can but there is a limit to what i can do when I am not there. I have tried to encourage our son to get her down and say "no" but he just doesn't seem to want to. He just gets up onto the sofa and does something else. He tells us that he is scared when she jumps up to him - as she is small the height doesn't help - the puppy's claws are around his waist height when he is standing up, and I honestly think that the puppy is simply very excited.

When the puppy is asleep or laying down she just watches the kids or ignores them/stays asleep, so it isn't all the time. It looks like completely normal behaviour to me but I just don't know how to make everyone happy.

My Dad has leant us a very good dog cage that has plenty of room in it. I will have to look into how to use it effectlively.

Many thanks again.

Dancingyogi Mon 08-Dec-14 11:32:23

Yelping when a puppy bites sometimes makes it worse because it makes them very excited. Ignoring works but requires a relatively long time to work and consistency - neither of which you will have with small kids. Clicker training worked for us, have a look at the kikopup video on YouTube - the biting Clio really made a huge difference...we still tried to get the dcs to ignore, walk away, stop playing. The yelping made it worse. Belt and braces!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now