Talk

Advanced search

My mum has bought a puppy - any tips?

(4 Posts)
Chopsypie Sun 07-Dec-14 17:49:37

Hello! I've never much ventured this way as I don't have a dog. My mum and dad have just bought a spaniel puppy, after losing their much loved old lab at the start of this year.
My mum looks after my DD who is 3 a couple of days a week and our DS who is 4 goes up quite often.

Is there anything I need to do/be aware of/stop the kids from doing?

They are used to dogs, and know not to touch faces/tails/food but I'm guessing a pup is a whole different game to an old placid lab!!

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 09-Dec-14 08:09:26

A young pup is likely to mouth quite a lot - your DCs may think he is biting them. Well, technically he is - but it's not aggressive! He will learn not to do it eventually.

The puppy is likely to be very excitable, which the DCs will probably love, but need to be aware that he may get carried away until he learns some manners!

They might like to get involved in his training so maybe have a look at some websites / books?

DishwasherDogs Tue 09-Dec-14 08:13:52

I have a 3 yr old and a spaniel, we taught him (the child) to stand still when the puppy got a bit OTT, so that is something you could teach your dc to do.
Wearing wellies can save nipped ankles during the shark phase.

Our puppy is now 5 months old and out of the bites phase, he and the three yr old love each other to bits smile

Chopsypie Tue 09-Dec-14 12:57:38

Thanks for the tips.
DD has been up there today and was a bit scared to begin with as he was quite excitable but my mum said she's just had to stop her sharing her yoghurt with him (same spoon and everything, yuck!) so she's obviously decided she likes him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now