Talk

Advanced search

Fun tricks to teach pup

(15 Posts)
UpWithPup Sun 07-Dec-14 09:49:31

Hi there. First time poster, long time lurker!

I have a 12 week old bichon cairn cross. So far we have mastered sit, down, paw, and leave it. We're doing ok with stay and bed but they're getting there. He seems to really love learning new things so Id like to now teach him something a bit more pointless,maybe a bit of a 'party trick'. It still needs to be fairly simple but I'm looking for suggestions. What cool things can your dogs do?

rumbleinthrjungle Sun 07-Dec-14 10:07:03

Give a high five
Spin around
Sit up and beg
Bring my shoes
'Speak'
Weave through my legs
Sit and wait while I hide treats around the house and then find them - she loves this one
Goes to get a toy on request to play tug or fetch

Most of these we started playing with a clicker when she was tiny, she loves learning tricks

Theselittlelightsofmine Sun 07-Dec-14 10:11:56

'Bang'

My teen taught our 9 yr old to play dead when he tells her bang and pretends to shoot her.

She will only do it for him tho grin

UpWithPup Sun 07-Dec-14 10:55:28

Great ideas, thanks. I love the idea of play dead; I think we'll try some simple ones first but that is definitely on the list! smile

tabulahrasa Sun 07-Dec-14 11:23:43

My dog knows...

Sit
down
stand
come
wait
stay
off (whatever he happens to be on, usually a person or the couch)
touch (with his nose)
up (useful for getting him into the car)
drop
leave
find
take it
dead (on to his side)
bang (on to his back)
move (out of the way, lol, so either get up and move or back up a bit)
spin (turn in a circle clockwise)
spin left (bit obvious after the last one)
weave (through my legs)
sad (that's a down with his head flat between his front paws)
kisses (that was the DC, not me, lol)
run

He also empties the washing machine, but that's just with take it and he knows the names of most of his toys.

He also knows paw, shut the door and roll over...but he's not allowed to do those anymore as he's got sore bits.

SinclairSpectrum Mon 08-Dec-14 10:07:27

Not meaning to hijack but....how are you managing all this??
My pup will only do sit and paw, oh and sleep and snore your head off, but that was preprogrammed!
He doesn't seem very food orientated...

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Mon 08-Dec-14 10:08:43

We have a bang you're dead too. grin he only does it for DS1, not for any of the rest of us.

ishouldcocoa Mon 08-Dec-14 10:10:46

I have a "Circle" command. Useful when they've just come in and you want them to do a 360 on the door mat to wipe their paws.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Mon 08-Dec-14 10:11:26

Sorry - my post is unclear. DS1 doesn't live with me, the dog sees him maybe once a month.

Pisses me off that the ungrateful wee tinker will do it for him who he never sees, and when I try he looks at me with disdain.

basildonbond Mon 08-Dec-14 11:25:23

sinclair - try toys if your pup's not that bothered about food

or .. try food before a meal but don't bother with commercial dog treats (not smelly enough!) - tiny bits of cheese, chicken, hot dog, chorizo should be acceptable grin, or you can find recipes online for diy treats - tuna 'fudge' is ridiculously smelly and had all the other dogs in puppy class making a beeline for us (unfortunately the car also stank to high heaven for days afterwards ...)

OP you've had lots of suggestions already but a couple more ... ddog loves 'paws up' (front paws onto something), bow (front legs down, bum up), targetting stuff with his feet, 'over' (jumping over outstretched leg) and commando crawl, but that's a summer trick as he only seems to be able to do it on grass and the garden's too muddy now

UpWithPup Mon 08-Dec-14 11:52:08

SinclairSpectrum it's a combination of him loving food, being desperate to please and many many repetitions. We mostly practise before breakfast and before dinner, so times when he's especially hungry for the food. It also seems to be good at tiring him out.

We've started working on 'twirl' - spinning around with his nose to his bum. He's got the action, but isn't really getting the command word yet. I'm sure it will come.

I love all these great ideas, I'm adding 'paws up' and 'bow' to the list!

basildonbond Fri 12-Dec-14 08:05:03

ishouldcocoa thanks for your circling on a mat tip - I've started asking ddog to spin when he comes in from the garden and it's amazing how much it cuts down on the muddy paw prints smile

Twooter Fri 12-Dec-14 21:51:45

I'm looking for ideas of jobs I can get my dog to do. Fetching slipper s is a good one, and I'm almost there with shutting the door. Really want something that'll keep him busy for 15 min or so.

insanityscratching Fri 12-Dec-14 22:42:41

Eric empties the drier for me and every morning I send him to wake up each person individually. My favourite though is the on your marks (down flat), get set (bum in air) go! (run) that dd taught him.

DoodlePegs Sun 14-Dec-14 04:26:11

Great idea for a thread.
Ddog is 13 weeks and knows
sit
come
stay
in your bed
beg
spin
leave it
drop.

Was wondering how to get a left and right spin, so will copy the 'spin' 'spin left' idea, thanks.
My next plan is to teach 'sleep' (lie down on side), as she can't seem to sleep for real at night, we may as well learn a pretend sleep!

Weeing and pooing outside only and not on the carpet trick is proving harder to master. We seem to have learnt a very good 'howl continuously at 4am' trick though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now