Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what on earth is in that Bakers meaty meals?

(14 Posts)
blackheartsgirl Fri 05-Dec-14 23:10:34

It makes my dog really ill. I have a lovely dog of twelve, she eats normal bakers complete with no problem, in fact has thrived on it but I tried her with meaty meals for a change and it knocked her for 6. She couldnt control her bladder and peed everywhere including my bed which she shouldn't be on but sneaked in there and just shook. Also her back legs collapsed. Tried her twice and same thing, vet couldn't explain it.

Anyone else had similar probs?

BOFster Fri 05-Dec-14 23:12:53

Bakers is like the swill of the dog food world. There's a cereal factory near me that does their stuff, and they vary whatever surplus grain is cheapest to bulk it out- you never get the same batch twice.

It is utter gak.

blackheartsgirl Fri 05-Dec-14 23:19:17

Well one thing for sure I won't be feeding meaty meals again.

I didn't realise there was an issue with bakers in general though. My dogs been fine with the other dry food.

BOFster Fri 05-Dec-14 23:21:05

Here is a review of the Bakers Complete. I'm not familiar with the "meaty meals", but I wouldn't expect them to be of a higher standard. And if you've noticed that it has a detrimental effect on your dog, I'd definitely look into changing it.

I feed my dog Nature Diet, and find it really excellent and very reasonably priced.

BOFster Fri 05-Dec-14 23:22:46

(My brother works in the cereal factory btw, so that is first-hand information about Bakers, I'm not just repeating an internet rumour.)

blackheartsgirl Fri 05-Dec-14 23:33:50

Thank you. I'm quite shocked tbh. I'll have a look at Nature diet. I have another dog that gets fed on bakers but I've just taken over her care as my mum can no longer care for her so will change hers asap

EvenBetter Sat 06-Dec-14 00:02:30

Yeah, Bakers is pure shite, really bad for dogs but it has pretty packaging and is widely sold, you wouldn't think they'd be allowed to sell such crap, so people trust it, wrongly. sad
That allaboutdogfood site is really good.

pigsDOfly Sat 06-Dec-14 00:56:49

BOFster Is your dog still okay with NatureDiet now they've changed their cooking method?

I used to feed my dog on NatureDiet but it's gone mushy now and she won't eat it. My pet shop tells me they're getting a lot of negative feed back on it now - it's just as good as far as quality is concerned just that a lot of dogs don't like the new texture.

I've swapped to Simply. It has a higher meat content and my dog absolutely loves it.

Sorry about the hijack OP.

And yes Bakers is nasty.

It's surprising how many of the widely sold dog food have cheap grains as the first, and hence main ingredient. A food stuff in fact that dogs shouldn't actually be fed.

I was talking to a member of staff in my pet shop this week about this and she was saying that Kraft make a lot of the well known brands. Enough said, I think.

BOFster Sat 06-Dec-14 01:31:27

Yes, my dog still likes it- I didn't realise it had changed, tbh, but now you mention it, I have seen a difference in the consistency.

pigsDOfly Sat 06-Dec-14 16:58:27

BOFster Yes the way they were cooking it before - cooking it without the lid and then putting the lid on before it had properly cooled - was leading to a lot of packets spoiling and going bad apparently.

Now they cook it with the lid on, which is why the lid is wrinkly, but it's resulted in the change of texture.

I was a bit put out when it first happened, as I had a similar thing happen with another food my dog was on, but it's worked out quite well for us as she was never that mad about NatureDiet and she absolutely loves the new food she's on.

AnnieHoo Sun 07-Dec-14 12:21:45

I found all Bakers products to be evil.

Our dog was driven mad by eczema in his ears, pits and between his claws . That was with Bakers Puppy and Bakers Small Dog.

Even now when he goes to my aunt's house we can tell if she's given him a treat because it flares up again. It's always Bakers that does it.

Lovely packaging but nasty stuff.

SistersOfPercy Sun 07-Dec-14 23:51:08

I feed mine lilys kitchen, but he has a cast iron gut and eats anything. He'll have a Sunday lunch, banana, plums, dh will sneak him crisps and bloody midget gems (despite me telling him off). Nothing affects him at all. And then the free sample of bakers wet food came with the shopping......

He only had a dessert spoonful mixed in with his lilys, within an hour he threw the lot up and had the runs for two days. Can't say as I'm surprised that out of all the crap he's eaten in the past it's only that which makes him ill.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 08-Dec-14 08:31:06

Bakers causes all kinds of issues. A friend of mine is an Animal Behaviourists and she reckons 80% of the dog she sees are on Bakers or Pedigree. Once the owners change the food the dogs are so much better.

SimoneAdriaan Tue 09-Dec-14 10:53:14

Bakers, Pedigree and Frolic all either make my dogs sick or hyper. We raw feed using Nature's Menu (I bloody love their stuff) or use the Nature's Menu cans and pouches, to find a good dog food within your budget have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk, www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/ or www.best-dog-food-review.com all of them really help explain what goes into dog food and help you find the best thing for your pet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now