Talk

Advanced search

We've just picked up our new puppy...

(17 Posts)
AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Thu 04-Dec-14 18:29:51

she's fast asleep in her basket in front of the Aga.

Gorgeous.

But we have no idea how to deal with her when she wakes up. She cried all the way home in the car but as soon as we got her into the house, she just wagged her tail and then curled up and went to sleep. We've unzipped the basket thing so she can come out if she wants to and we are all in the kitchen talking in whispers, making dinner very quietly and waiting for her to wake up.

Though we have NO idea what we do with her when she does wake up…

Any advice would be very welcome.

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Thu 04-Dec-14 18:35:01

Awhhhhhhhhh

Cuddle her on your knee or on your chest all night. Otherwise, she'll cry.

DS did this when TheTerrier arrived. grin He got wee'd all over.

Enjoy am jealous !

BellaVita Thu 04-Dec-14 18:35:36

take her out for a wee for starters...

Does she need feeding? If so, feed her and then take her out again.

She will probably sleep a lot to begin with.

BellaVita Thu 04-Dec-14 18:36:33

Erm and we need a pic grin

FrauHelgaMissMarpleandaChuckle Thu 04-Dec-14 18:37:16

grin oh yes, pic please!

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Thu 04-Dec-14 20:01:26

She's still asleep. A good friend of mine texted earlier to say give her a cuddle. She's going to call me later with advice as she's very experienced and excellent with dogs. (I'm going to need her on speed dial.)

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Thu 04-Dec-14 20:02:37

Thank you all for such lovely advice. I'm very proud to have finally become a member of the dog owning fraternity. I've farted around thinking about it for far too long. smile

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Thu 04-Dec-14 20:05:56

Her mother is a black cocker spaniel and father a chocolate poodle. I met both parents they are lovely dogs.

But the puppy hasn't had any injections. So I need to call the vet tomorrow to get that underway immediately.

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 04-Dec-14 20:10:22

You must read 'before and after getting your puppy' by Ian Dunbar. Free online. Google it. Read it now, while pup's asleep.

We followed it to the letter and have an utterly perfect (though smelly - can't prevent that!) springer spaniel.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 04-Dec-14 20:11:04

Out for a wee first.
Dinner after?
Then wee again.

And repeat.
Don't forget the cuddles but mind your hands.
Puppies have razor sharp teeth.

BooDidIScareYou Thu 04-Dec-14 20:12:53

Ohhhhh she is LOVELY! Sorry no proper advice as not a dog owner but I think she definitely needs a cuddle smile

BellaVita Thu 04-Dec-14 21:35:33

Aww she is gorgeous.

MostAmused Thu 04-Dec-14 22:44:21

Aww she's lovely we got our pup just over a month ago so he's 13 weeks today and he's settled so nicely! Only thing is he sticks to me like glue so will whine if he can't get to me and isn't satisfied with his present company (or entertainment) So I wish I had started leaving the room without him from day 1 instead of after a few weeks.
Also I would put her collar on straight away. We did that and it's never bothered him once, even when I took it off to add a dog tag.
I also wish I had started leash training earlier to get him to walk to heel as he's not so great at it just now.

How's she getting on?
Enjoy her, she looks like a lovely puppy smile

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Thu 04-Dec-14 23:14:17

MostAmused. Thank you for that. That's really useful info. We'll try and work in a bit of time alone, that seems very sensible.

She is fine. She wolfed down her dinner.

We plan to take her to the vet tomorrow, to get her checked over.

digerd Fri 05-Dec-14 18:07:54

We have lots of 'cockerpoos' in our area and they are all very friendly, excitable but easily trained to obey commands.

Ours are all black though, and find yours very pretty.
Definitely out for a wee after waking up, immediately and then praise after doing it.
If you are feeding 4 x a day, there will be a poo after each one plus one in the morning first thing.
Good luck, she looks gorgeous.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Fri 05-Dec-14 18:45:11

digerd - thank you. She seems to have a lovely temperament with lots of tail wagging. But she isn't all that adventurous… we were joking today that we seem to have chosen a puppy who has no use for legs. But this afternoon she's given our slidey floors a whirl and seems to be mastering them.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Sun 07-Dec-14 17:19:58

Still going brilliantly. She is THE smartest puppy and I feel so fortunate to have her. Vet tomorrow for a puppy check and her first injection. She loves being outside.

I gave her a first bath this morning as when we came in from the wet garden she smelt very dank and whiffy. I bathed her in the sink with a teensy amount of baby shampoo then cuddled and rubbed her dry with a micro fleece towel. She is so fluffy after her bath.

OMG. I'm in love. Can you tell?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now