Talk

Advanced search

Our old girl died last night

(33 Posts)
Stevie77 Thu 04-Dec-14 07:35:11

With us by her side sad

She was nearly 17yo, we had since she was a pup.

She just took a turn for the worst last night, rather suddenly. Was listless, her breathing was laboured. It was obvious she was dying. We sat with her, stroking her and talking to her until she was no more sadsad

We have a Reception aged child and a baby, I'm not looking forward to telling the news in a moment.

Thinking back, she was very quiet yesterday. Didn't eat and drink, I now feel guilty for not noticing.

Anyway, just offloading. Needed to write it down somewhere.

twentyten Thu 04-Dec-14 07:38:36

Awwww. So very sorry. She didn't suffer- she was at home with you. Bigbrewbrew and thanksthanks

Goldenlab Thu 04-Dec-14 07:40:06

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. What a very lucky dog to have had you by her side and looking after her in the comfort of her home when she died be kind to yourself today.

basildonbond Thu 04-Dec-14 08:09:46

Poor you and poor ddog - but she didn't struggle through a long illness and have to put up with invasive treatment and died with you surrounding her with love so you should feel proud you were as to give her that at the end

Do something really nice for yourself today - you will need to be gentle on yourself for a while

R4roger Thu 04-Dec-14 08:12:24

sad thanks

Stevie77 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:09:47

Thank you.

Saying goodbye to her at the vets was very upsetting to both me and DH. She was just so cold and lifeless sad

We've been prepared for this happening for a while, but we weren't prepared if that makes sense.

Upsetting myself again...

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 04-Dec-14 20:25:20

So sorry for you. You had a good few years with her though, you must have lots of happy memories.

I think we might be soon going through this with our old boy. You have my utter sympathy. flowers

Owllady Thu 04-Dec-14 22:10:53

I'm sorry sad x

atonofwashing Fri 05-Dec-14 22:14:27

I am sorry. :-(
Fine age to get to. Well done.
I can understand your shock. We lost our doggie last Wednesday evening.
It stings without them, doesn't it?
Take care of yourselves.

inmyshoos Fri 05-Dec-14 22:53:17

Oh dear it is so painful saying goodbye. I always like to remember how much they were loved and how they had a warm bed and plenty of food. Some can only dream of a good life like this.
Your broken heart will heal and one day another canine friend will win your heart.

I have lost two old girls in the past 3 years. I now have two rescue dogs. One never replaces another but they warm your heart in their own little ways and it helps ease the pain.

chickydoo Fri 05-Dec-14 22:56:06

thanks
So sorry for your loss

sunflower49 Fri 05-Dec-14 22:59:32

Sorry for your loss. Comfort yourself with her having had a much better life than most dogs do, and she got to die with minimal suffering, at home with people who love her.

It's so painful, I know. xx

PeppaPigStinks Sat 06-Dec-14 18:54:40

I'm sorry - we had to say goodbye to our pooch in October. It was and still is heartbreaking

I have a three year old who us very switched on. We had to be totally honest and didn't use phrases like passed away, gone to sleep etc as at that age they take it so literally. I actually spoken to friend who works with bereaved kids about it
How are you all?

patienceisvirtuous Sat 06-Dec-14 18:59:00

Very sorry for your loss OP sad XX

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 06-Dec-14 19:37:05

I think it helps to give yourself time to grieve but don't rule out having another dog in the future. I can't imagine any dog ever replacing my fantastic old boy but I can't have a home without a dog and it will keep me busy.

Please console yourself with the thought that she probably didn't suffer if she went that quickly. And that she died at home surrounded by her family. It's probably the best way to do it. My poor old boy is hanging on and I really don't know what to do for the best. sad

Stevie77 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:25:17

Thank you for your kind words. Thurs and Fri were very hard for me, I have noticed her not being around a lot. The hollow feeling of grief, the hole in my heart has really caught me by surprise.

DD has taken it, surprisingly, rather well. We have talked about the dog being very old and a bit unwell a lot over the last few months, trying to prepare her for the inevitable. We have obviously done a good job because apart from being a sad and upset when being told, she has taken it almost too well hmm. I'm kind of feeling hurt by how un-upset she is but just leaving her to it. She might bring it up at some point.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 08-Dec-14 20:39:01

I can totally empathise with you today Stevie, our old boy passed away yesterday. But that's a whole other thread. I know what you mean about your dd's reaction through. Our two cried, dd1 more than dd2 because I guess being a bit older she understood more. But they're fine now. Haven't mentioned it much. They just didn't have the bond with him that we did. I'm quite glad, in a way. Dh and I are absolutely devastated. I'd hate for them to feel like that. It's bad enough trying to come to terms with it as a grown up.

Our house is very empty too. sad

DogTalk Mon 08-Dec-14 21:07:52

So sorry sad OP, and MsAdorabelle flowerscake

PeppaPigStinks Tue 09-Dec-14 09:00:03

Children deal with grief very differently than us. Every now and then my dd will talk about our dog and now asks if the same will happen to the cat.

Against everyone else's opinion we ended up with a puppy withon 3-4 weeks of losing peppadog- it's hard work but the best decision we made. In the weeks without a dog we didn't go out and finally now we can take the puppy out it's like our life is back on track. Our whole lifestyle was geared to having a four legged friend. And I was amazed at how much my two kids love having a dog/ I saw dd smile like I hadn't seen for a good few weeks. wink

However like I said all my family totally disagreed with our decision to get another dog!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 09-Dec-14 09:06:11

People have told me I should go straight out and get a puppy! Get back in the saddle as it were. My life is geared for a dog too. I'm a sahm and am here every day, when I'm not volunteering at school. I probably do need another dog but I don't want one yet. I need to grieve for my old boy.

The house is bloody empty this morning. I'd usually be taking him for his walk now. Just want to sit here and cry.

How are you doing Stevie? flowers

PeppaPigStinks Tue 09-Dec-14 09:51:17

Oh ms adorable. I really feel your pain and I still miss peppadog soo much. In fact I would go as far as to say that she prevented me from suffering from pnd and was borrowed on a number of occasions to get family members out of the black hole of mental health problems.

I didn't feel ready for a good few weeks but I'm glad we have another now!

confusedandemployed Tue 09-Dec-14 10:05:07

I'm so sorry for everyone who has lost their furry pals on this thread flowers

My two are now 12 and the time is edging closer and closer sad . The Rudyard Kipling poem The Power of a Dog sums up EXACTLY how I feel.

I can't imagine ever being prepared to put myself through the pain of losing another pet once they have left me, but then I think of this poem (WARNING: a bit schmaltzy but something to think about IMO):
www.hotvalleywriters.com/Hot_Valley_Writers/LegacyDog.html

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 09-Dec-14 20:57:11

Aww. smile

That's lovely.

Stevie77 Tue 09-Dec-14 21:46:12

So sorry to hear about your boy MsAdorabelle sad

I'm just accepting that it'll be less painful as time goes on...

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 09-Dec-14 22:18:24

Dh said tonight that maybe we'll feel better soon. I said I don't think it ever goes away, you just learn to accept it. Like with any loss I guess. It's still shit though.

What breed was she? My old boy was a working cocker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now