Talk

Advanced search

Best dog chews

(10 Posts)
winkywinkola Wed 03-Dec-14 22:57:58

So after a long walk (90 mins) on Christmas Eve morning, my two labs are going to be left for six hours. First time it's been for this long.

I want them each to have a really tough satisfying chew that will preoccupy them when they are not sleeping off their walk.

Any recommendations?

crapcrapcrapcrap Wed 03-Dec-14 23:04:43

I give rawhide cigar chews. They won't last 6 hours, but they do last about 40 minutes at times.

Several frozen kongs?

Whoknowswhocares Wed 03-Dec-14 23:10:16

I only leave mine with frozen kongs or an antler to gnaw on tbh. Rawhide and chews present a choking hazard and as my dog is a little errr 'enthusiastic' I'm too worried about her trying to eat chunks of it to leave her unattended

crapcrapcrapcrap Wed 03-Dec-14 23:12:59

This is probably a good point. My old boy can swallow a 6" rawhide cigar (the thick ones) whole and keep it safe for ages before vomiting it up later on for a snack <boak>

winkywinkola Wed 03-Dec-14 23:14:39

Oh brilliant tips. Thank you. I wouldn't have known.

MonstersBalls Wed 03-Dec-14 23:27:22

Antlers can take ages to chew. I'd definitely recommend one of those. It takes my collie weeks to get through one!

crapcrapcrapcrap Wed 03-Dec-14 23:36:09

They are notorious for breaking dogs' teeth though.

www.dentalvets.co.uk/index.php/news/27-antler-dog-chews-an-update-aftre-surge-of-fractured-upper-carnassial-teeth

MsRyanGosling Wed 03-Dec-14 23:42:27

Bulls pizzles tbgrin expensive but so worth it

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 03-Dec-14 23:48:25

Please don't tell me pizzles means what I think it means. confused

Chrismoosemama Thu 04-Dec-14 10:57:12

I'd second frozen kongs as being your best option. I stuff mine with a mix of my dogs' kibble and sardines in tomato sauce, topped off with a layer of dried kibble jammed in and then some wet dog food. The longer they're frozen for the harder it is for them to get through them, so it's best to prepare them a week early and leave them in the fast freeze section if you can.

Mine have Antlers, but only when supervised and I only buy the split ones that they then scrape the marrow out of, rather than gnawing on like bones. They still last them weeks/months.

Another option would be something like a kong wobbler or treat dispensing ball, basically something they have to work at to get the treats out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now