Talk

Advanced search

Is it just big fat stinking Rottweilers that are lap dogs/think they are cats?

(20 Posts)
TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 03-Dec-14 22:37:08

My dog is commonly referred to in this house as 'that big fat stinking black dog' --mainly because DD started picking up on 'fucking dog' so I changed it.

Anyway, he literally cannot be close enough to you. If you sit down, he put his bum on you, sits with all his weight and then turns and gives you a 'well...' Look implying he wants a good stroke. If you lie down, he lies on you. If you ensure he can't sit on you then he licks. The endless licking. Almost eight years of telling him I don't want to be licked!

The saying 'following you like a love sick puppy' was based on him when I leave a room.

He's 45kg. He used to be 55-60. I love his cuddles a lot but Jesus!

So... Is it a Rottweiler thing or a dog thing? What loveable but highly annoying things does your dog do? Is that breed based?

parabelle Wed 03-Dec-14 22:42:02

My friend's rottweiler was like this. Used to have to sit on you in the car. Was a nightmare on longer journeys.

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 03-Dec-14 22:44:00

He did when he was a pup. Once he could reach the window and could hang his head out, there was no stopping him.

Whatdoesaduckdo Wed 03-Dec-14 22:46:09

I have a lurcher when he stands on his hind legs he can put his front paws on my shoulders but in his head he is a dinky lap dog he behaves exactly as you describe I love him dearly but a little bit of space is all I want for Christmas.

RandomMess Wed 03-Dec-14 22:46:26

Come to think of it my friend had Dobermans like this, someone else greyhounds. Does seem to be the larger the dog the more "love" they need...

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 03-Dec-14 22:48:47

Apparently, dobermans are Rotts crossed with greyhounds.

So if greyhounds and Rotts are loving, Dobermans must be extra loving?

needastrongone Wed 03-Dec-14 22:48:50

I have spaniels. One snored so loudly tonight while laid on me that I couldn't hear The Apprentice. He gets booted off if he trumps though. I can't go to the loo without both of them following me smile

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 03-Dec-14 22:53:51

I bet TysonTwinkletoes snores louder. I've videoed him several times. It's simply shocking.

tabulahrasa Wed 03-Dec-14 23:57:40

Like this? Nope, never, lol

Chrismoosemama Thu 04-Dec-14 10:51:43

My younger Lurcher thinks he's a lapdog, he loves nothing better than to reverse up to you and plonk his rear end down - we also get the "What?" look thrown over his shoulder when he does it. Another thing he likes to do, if he can't get on your lap, is stand up, lean and tuck his head sort of on your shoulder/under your chin. It's amazing how heavy a small, pointy head can be. hmm

He also sits on the sofa with his bum on the cushion, his back legs tucked up and front feet on the floor. He knows the rule is no dogs on the sofa, but thinks this is ok, because his feet are still on the foor. hmm

He's quite cat like too. Dh is always saying he thinks he must have been a cat in a former life, as he winds himself around your legs and headbutts affectionately like cat's do. I'm told that Lurcher's that have Saluki in them can have very cat like behaviour, so maybe that's it.

tabulahrasa Thu 04-Dec-14 10:56:53

"He also sits on the sofa with his bum on the cushion, his back legs tucked up and front feet on the floor. He knows the rule is no dogs on the sofa, but thinks this is ok, because his feet are still on the foor."

Mine does that too, lol, sadly he gets away with it because he looks so ridiculous.

Chrismoosemama Thu 04-Dec-14 11:01:20

Same here - you can't help but laugh at them when they do it can you? grin

CleaninQueen Thu 04-Dec-14 12:29:51

Nope my 11 stone 8 month old English mastiff thinks he is

JoffreyBaratheon Thu 04-Dec-14 12:30:27

Sometimes my late English bull terriers - all of them so I assumed it was a breed thing - would sit on the sofa just like a human, with their back against the backrest, a paw on am armrest and legs sticking out in front of them.

All the bull terriers we've had - staffies and English - have liked to get in bed under the covers with their heads on the pillow... And on a sofa they will sit on you or with their head on you. My 13 week old staffy/Jack russell cross is currently snoring (very loud) next to me - as usual, she climbed on me to fall asleep then I put her next to me. If I move so much as an eyelash, she wakes up and follows me wherever I go. She is snoring louder than my husband (which is saying something) and is very tiny. I dread to think what these snores will sound like when she's fully grown...

TallulahTwinkletoes Thu 04-Dec-14 13:16:03

Ah yes pillows! My pooch loves pillows. Anything will do as one. I love it when DP goes away for the night as I have DD and DDog in the bed.

motmot Fri 05-Dec-14 21:33:51

I find pointers very like this, big lap dogs. Ours is not allowed on furniture but has been known to do half her bum on a chair and three remaining paws on the floor. If you sit or lie on the floor for even a second she reverses towards you and sort of hops on. It's very funny. I've never known a dog to be so affectionate.

MosquitoFood Fri 05-Dec-14 21:41:19

I have a huge Labrador that loves to sit on my lap. He is also known as my shadow and I swear 80% of the time I am doing stuff around the house, you'll find him nestled between my bum cheeks! I think he lives to be my audience when I'm on the toilet and since overcoming his fear of water will join me in the bath at any opportunity. He is just like a toddler.smile

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Dec-14 21:51:34

I'm sitting on a two seater sofa atm. I have approx half a seat as lurcher puppy (24" neck to tail) and 6.5kg cat are sitting in the other parts, and I get heads and paws on me. On the other sofa, the other lurcher is demonstrating just how long he is by spreading himself along the length of dh, but with all legs in the air

Adarajames Fri 05-Dec-14 22:44:29

My pointer cross is convinced she's a lap dog, and does that sneaky bum cheek on but feet off furniture as not allowed on it! Not generally allowed in the bedroom, but when h does get allowed, she has to be touching me if can't be her preferred half on me! My old collie cross girl likes her space tho

RandomMess Sat 06-Dec-14 09:24:13

I shall remain grateful that it is only my small 5kg cat that has to be constantly on/touching me - she is bloomin' heavy enough - she loves to wrap herself around my neck whilst walking around if she gets fed up waiting for me to sit down and cuddle her.

I do have visions with someone with a rottie wrapped around their neck being snuggled into...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now