Talk

Advanced search

Toilet training for 6 month old puppy

(12 Posts)
Discopanda Tue 02-Dec-14 17:18:09

Hi, I'm new to this forum and asking for a friend. She got a 6 month old golden lab on Saturday and he's been having accidents around the house and is nervous about going outside. She got puppy pads but the dog hasn't been going on them. I remember when we had a puppy we put this liquid that smelled vaguely like wee on newspapers to encourage him to go just on that area, then used a smaller and smaller area of newspaper. Has anyone got any advice? Thank you in advance.

Arkkorox Tue 02-Dec-14 17:21:40

Go right back to baby puppy basics, Out every hour, after eating, sleeping, playing. Watch for signs of sniffing the floor etc and make outside the best place ever for wee wees, treats and praise galore when he goes. Pads etc in the house will just confuse him about where its ok to pee.

Discopanda Tue 02-Dec-14 17:25:35

So it's a bit like potty training a toddler?

Arkkorox Tue 02-Dec-14 17:29:33

Yep!

Apart from the whole being outside bit lol.

Weve had numerous pups and foster pups pass through and none of them have ever used pads in the house. Doesnt make sense to allow them to do something youre trying to stop them doing!

Discopanda Tue 02-Dec-14 17:48:24

OK, just had another message, apparently he's refusing to pee and poo outside, whenever he's put in the garden he barks and whines to come back in

Floralnomad Tue 02-Dec-14 17:52:20

You shouldn't be putting him in the garden she needs to go outside with him so she can say a command word ( we use go quick) so that the dog associates that word with the action and then treat as soon as he goes . If he doesn't go after a few minutes come back in and try again in a while or when she sees the dog looking like it's going to do something . Toilet training is a very proactive thing .

Arkkorox Tue 02-Dec-14 17:54:27

She needs to go out there with him, even if he needs to be on the lead, and he will eventually go. Might be usefull for her to start putting a cue to it after a few times - I use ' go wee wees' and our dogs will pretty much go on command now.

When he goes he needs the biggest well done ever, a wee or a poo is the best thing in the world that he can do!

Whats his history?

Discopanda Tue 02-Dec-14 18:14:28

His last owners returned him to the breeder so she doesn't know.

Arkkorox Tue 02-Dec-14 18:45:36

Quite possibly hes been allowed to get away with it for a while then. She needs to take him right back to basics with everything and re teach him

crapcrapcrapcrap Tue 02-Dec-14 20:21:23

I've just toilet trained a puppy at 6 months. It took several days to have it under control and a few weeks to make it bombproof.

The main thing to remember with this is that you must not let them toilet in the house. Sorry that sounds bossy but it's the essential bit! An accident in the house means you didn't take them out when you should have.

I went outside every hour, every time she woke, after every meal, after a few minutes of play, and any time I had a spare moment. I mooched around not making eye contact and then exploded into star jumps and squeaking every time she toileted outdoors. Once she got the idea I started using a cue word as she started to pee.

It is really easy but time consuming, but the more time you put in the quicker it works.

CMOTDibbler Wed 03-Dec-14 09:53:17

She needs to take him out on the lead and stand in the garden till he toilets. Every hour ideally, and treats plus praise when he does something.
At 6 months, it shouldn't take long to get the idea

CatsClaus Wed 03-Dec-14 10:01:27

can only echo what already been said...plus do not chastise the dog for peeing inside, they associate the telling off with the action, not the place.

She will have to put the effort in and go outside and stay outside until something is done, and a reward given. She'll be at it till next christmas otherwise....just sending him out to the garden is no better than letting a toddler roam about the house and expecting them to find the toilet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now