Talk

Advanced search

New pup jumping/nipping dds legs when playing

(8 Posts)
Lostriver Mon 01-Dec-14 12:03:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 01-Dec-14 12:33:01

if the pup is getting too excited while out, I would walk between dd and the pup until it is trained to be calm on the lead.

this might help or or this

Lostriver Mon 01-Dec-14 12:53:40

Lostriver Mon 01-Dec-14 12:54:37

Taz1212 Mon 01-Dec-14 15:42:46

Our trainer told us to completely ignore any sort of jumping along the lines of the "negative attention is still attention" school of thought so we stand completely still if our pup jumps and don't make eye contact and then praise when he calms down.

So far it's worked really well. He does do the odd jumping when we are walking but we immediately stop and stand like a statue.

Lostriver Thu 04-Dec-14 18:49:18

crapcrapcrapcrap Thu 04-Dec-14 21:26:52

Mine does this. She's worst when she's overstimulated (school run!).

I use a perfect fit harness and a double ended lead clipped to the front and back rings for control. I try to be vigilant so any jumping goes unrewarded, ie prevent her making contact. I also heavily reinforce heel walking around the DC.

Using 7 year old DS as a stooge we're practising rewarding calm behaviour around fast-moving children, only in the kitchen but working up to outside soon.

Keeping her stimulated (lots of walks with time to sniff) makes a big difference in how much she does it, but too much at once is counterproductive. If I get too excited with her on a walk she'll launch at my shoulders and nip at them. I'm telling myself it's getting better ...

crapcrapcrapcrap Thu 04-Dec-14 21:28:08

Actually even if she nips, ignoring it is still valid. She needs to learn that this behaviour goes unrewarded, as well as being taught an alternative behaviour to do instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now