Talk

Advanced search

hiding medication help!

(8 Posts)
motmot Mon 01-Dec-14 11:30:15

Our dog is on a syrup based medication which she has to have the times a day. She won't take it directly into her mouth and fusses with food, sometimes leaving it for ages, so I can't put it in there.

At the moment I soak it into a small bit of bread, but as she's on this for the rest of her days, that's a lot of bread and not very healthy. Any suggestions of something absorbent that I can squirt the syrup onto? Most dog treats aren't soft enough and it just sits on top and makes a mess/doesn't all get eaten.

motmot Mon 01-Dec-14 11:31:39

three times a day

confusedandemployed Mon 01-Dec-14 11:33:19

Mix it with a little bit of milk? It's a tricky one?

ClaimedByMe Mon 01-Dec-14 11:33:56

Mixing in with dairylea or primula cheese or pate or yoghurt? What does she like as a treat? My dog is quite greedy and wolf down all of the above without realising there's anything hidden in it.

ender Mon 01-Dec-14 12:44:19

A tablet/capsule would be easier to hide in a healthy treat, can you ask vet if the medication comes in tablet form?

Floralnomad Mon 01-Dec-14 12:48:33

Stick it in a bit of yoghurt ( flavoured ) ,my dog has liquid meds and he loves yoghurt or custard .

TheKitchenWitch Mon 01-Dec-14 12:49:42

Can you not squirt it into her mouth? I've found the direct method works best as they tend to cotton onto where it's hidden and start leaving it.

motmot Mon 01-Dec-14 17:46:55

Thanks, I'll ask about tablet form but the syrup is handy as I'm able to gradually reduce it to the lowest effective level (it's for incontinence). Yoghurt is a good suggestion. She likes it, but won't let me squirt it into her mouth without much song and dance and sneezing etc, it's gone everywhere. Perhaps I need to hone my technique!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now