Talk

Advanced search

Sensitive stomach? Too much poo. Runny poo. Help! Possibly tmi

(17 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 00:01:37

I've got a 19 week old cavachon, had her 8 weeks now.

Her poo was a bit runny when we got her, put it down to the move. Seemed to improve after a few days. Then went runny again. She was on royal Canin puppy and I kept her on that.

Some poos seem ok, some are really quite runny.

So two weeks ago I bought some Millie's Wolfheart food and have been gradually changing over to that. For the last two days she's been on just that, no royal Canin.

Her poo is just the same. And the amounts! She's pooed at least 8 times today. 5 of which have been in the house. They're all really squidgy and at one end either start or finish in a small liquid puddle. So difficult to clean up.

Nothing like my other dogs firm poos.

I'm feeding correct amounts and no treats or snacks at all. She's been wormed frequently.

So how much longer do I give this dog food to see if it helps? And where do I go next if I need to try another? I've read good things about Burns sensitive but on the good dog food website it scores it 2.5 out of 5.

I've read that cavachons can be prone to sensitive stomachs. Is 8 poos a day normal for a puppy? They're massive poos! My other dog was 6 months when we got him and only went 3x a day.

Firedemon Sun 30-Nov-14 00:19:42

My whippet was the same! We tried various different foods but the one that worked well for us was burns pork and potato. An instant poo transformation! And she only does one or two a day rather than seven.
We phase treats in to see if they are ok for her sensitive tum too and if there's any smooshiness (sorry) then it's just back to burns, used also as treats/training aids.
Good luck smile

VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 00:23:25

Yes, it was the burns pork and potato I was thinking of. I think if her poo isn't better by Monday I,ll order a bag!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 30-Nov-14 07:51:51

Have you been to the vet. A large numbers of puppies with persistent diarrhoea are infected with Giardia which regular worming doesn't treat. So I would o this before changing food again.

Bohemond Sun 30-Nov-14 07:56:35

Massively reduce the amount you are feeding for a few days. Packet feeding guides are rarely accurate.

Cirsium Sun 30-Nov-14 08:06:31

Agree with getting her checked out by a vet if things don't improve. But like pp said whenever our 1-year-old staffy has been sick/had diarrhoea it has been caused by over feeding him. Cutting it down a bit - often to far less than the packet says - usually helps. My cat eats about 1/4 of the recommended amount on the tin and is still overweight!

lostblonde86 Sun 30-Nov-14 08:07:23

second what loancat said.

ender Sun 30-Nov-14 08:33:26

Agree with Bohemond. Reduce the amount of feed. Cut down by a third, see what the poos are like next day, if none or v hard then then increase slightly till normal.
If too much is coming out then too much is going in.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 08:45:46

No I haven't taken her to the vet but will do if no improvement towards the end of the week.

As some poos seemed ok and some not I'd thought it was more likely to be sensitive tummy?

Anyway will try feeding less as well.

Thanks.

CMOTDibbler Sun 30-Nov-14 08:52:31

Burns pork and potato is the only dry food that works for my dogs. They don't do well with any grain, and turkey is awful for their poo for some reason.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 08:58:07

And I've just ordered panacur paste wormer to worm her with that as appparantly it does giardia? She did have round worms when I got her.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 08:58:50

I'm not convinced its that though. She's really active, no vomiting, I haven't noticed any mucus.

CleaninQueen Sun 30-Nov-14 09:02:47

I've got a dog that Suffers from allergies and she's raw fed, helped tons with her sensitive stomach.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 09:05:02

I don't have enough freezer space to cope with raw feeding. Think it may be a step too far for vegetarian dh as well.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 30-Nov-14 10:39:28

I'd reduce the amount you are feeding her to slightly below the recommended amount and then work up from there slowly. Our lab is on Millie's and if he gets too much his poos do soften up. It doesn't take much extra to be too much as its high protien.

Have you tried calling mark or June at Millie's for support? They are fantastic.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 30-Nov-14 12:12:06

Panacur can treat giardia, but not at the standard worming dose rates. I would encourage you to get a faecal sample before you self treat this can be a very tricky parasite to treat and most often because of this we use panacur at off label dose rates.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 30-Nov-14 15:53:43

Thanks Lonecat. Have bought a bag of Burns today so will give that a few days to see if it works and if not will go to the vet with a poo sample. Do I take a sample just in a poo bag with me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now