Talk

Advanced search

Untrained dog

(8 Posts)
Findingthisdifficult1234 Sat 29-Nov-14 18:29:56

I started a thread in chat, and have been advised to post here too.
Here is the link to my thread:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2247571-Untrained-dog?pg=1&order=

Findingthisdifficult1234 Sat 29-Nov-14 18:30:14

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2247571-Untrained-dog?pg=1&order=.

Owllady Sat 29-Nov-14 23:05:08

I'm not going to advise you one way or the other whether to take the dog on, that's up to you.
But yes, you can train a 1 year old dog. You can train any age dog.

From what I know of the breed they are clever but docile, so training shouldn't be an issue at all.

I take mine to obedience and agility and it is a commitment but yes, dogs carry on learning like people do smile

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 29-Nov-14 23:23:10

I'd be reluctant to take on a young, lively dog whilst pregnant, although I have done that twice in my life so who am I to say! Am an experienced dog-slave though. (Also experienced with staffs).

I think you sound a lovely person. Maybe you can work on finding a rescue to help your friend - preferably one that could foster her in a home, to assess her. Check round the breed rescues (there are a few I'd have thought) even out of your area - rescues can lay transport on to get a dog from one place to another. This dog sounds like she deserves a second chance and even if you are maybe not in the best position to look after her yourself right now, you came into her life at the right moment to get her to a place where she can be happier.

They are eminently trainable, staffs. Some have been obedience champions. Of all the dogs I have ever had, found staffies to be the easiest to train but they are very demanding in terms of attention and exercise - I could only manage it when I had newborn babies, as my husband would look after baby for a couple of hours a day so I could walk the dog.

Booboostoo Sun 30-Nov-14 20:52:02

This is a very bad idea. I can understand why you feel sorry for the dog but do not take on the problem your friend has created when pregnant. If you had not been pregnant I would have wanted to give you all sorts of advice and information so you could make your mind up but an untrained dog and a baby are a very tough combination. The dog needs, patience, time and attention, and you won't have any of that for him when the baby arrives.

EasyToEatTiger Mon 01-Dec-14 13:27:38

A dog at any age is a huge commitment. It is a lovely and kind idea that you think you could take on this dog. What is the reality? You will need to find ways of dealing with whatever situation the dog throws at you and find the best support when things go pear shaped, and your commitment will need to last for maybe 10-15 years. Some of our dogs have had dreadful starts in life, and it's amazing what can be overcome. It is not always an easy ride and you need to think very, very carefully about how you will cope when the going gets tough.

mrslaughan Mon 01-Dec-14 16:27:46

I am not going to say our mad - but it will be a huge commitment time wise and maybe financial.
Time wise because not only does it need walking, but it also needs training - training can happen on walks - and its a perfect time to do training...but training can't only happen on walks. If you have a dog that is used to doing whats it likes and is "naughty" the training is going to be pretty constant. So I guess what I am saying is to start with the training will be quite relentless. Though on the plus side - the training will probably to a certain extent exhaust it, so that may have a knock on effect of improving its behaviour. I know someone who is having trouble with a 7 month adult giant breed puppy - they haven't done any training (despite being told again and again that it was essential) it is all going tits up, - there solution is to commit to 2 hours on the weekend......it doesn't work like that - you need to be consistent, and it is constant. and then once they know what is expected of them and how to behave it eases off......

The financial - because you have very little experience of dogs and you will need to achieve as much as possible in the next 6 months - I would say the best possible thing you could do, to make it successful, is get the support of a reputable trainer and have sessions with them, so that they then offer you support and guidance. Then the other thing is that once you have the baby you may need to at times use someone to walk the dog for you.

So I am not saying don't - something is drawing you to this dog, but if you do, go in with your eyes open. Knowing it is a HUGE commitment required from you.

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 02-Dec-14 11:34:07

These folk seem to have fosterers. Maybe you could contact them and explain the situation:

www.staffierescue.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now