Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take a dog to lose weight

(6 Posts)
Hakluyt Wed 26-Nov-14 17:14:53

For various unavoidable reasons, my Borderhasn't been getting enough exercise for the last 4 weeks or so, and she has noticeably got chubbier. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow- how long will it take her to unchub? In particular, will she have returned to normal by the time we visit some very judgemental doggy people on Boxing Day? grin

youbethemummylion Wed 26-Nov-14 17:17:52

I would say so, we adopted a very overweight Bichon and she lost her first 1kg in a month, the rest has taken a bit longer but that's the same as in humans I think. I cant see 4 weeks lack of exercise being irreversible in your time frame.

Hakluyt Wed 26-Nov-14 19:02:28

Thank you. I'm amazed -and guilty - at how quickly she got fat. Back to 4 miles minimum a day tomorrow!

youbethemummylion Wed 26-Nov-14 19:04:21

Aww poor thing wont know what hit her grin

basildonbond Thu 27-Nov-14 07:37:05

I hate to say it but you'll need to reduce her food as well - increasing exercise alone won't do it, especially not in your timeframe

Do you weigh her food out? If you just do it by "oh that looks about right" it's amazing how much variation there could be (and it's really easy to give too much)

Hakluyt Thu 27-Nov-14 07:48:17

I'm ashamed to say I don't weigh her food. blush She is normally so incredibly active that it's not an issue. Wake up call for me!

What amazed me was how happily she went from non stop to lap dog. I thought she'd be climbing the walls....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now