Talk

Advanced search

dog treat causes illness

(5 Posts)
nellieellie Sun 23-Nov-14 15:49:36

Have come across a warning about Pedigree jumbone maxi treats. A few people I know via a closed facebook dog breed group have reported severe vomiting and stomach pain, with ensuing advice from vet not to give these treats as they have made a lot of dogs unwell. Pedigree supposedly investigating.

EasyToEatTiger Sun 23-Nov-14 21:17:21

Do you have a link? I've heard about this too.

JustMe1990 Sun 23-Nov-14 22:11:49

Everything pedigree make is shite tbh, along with bakers. Yack.

pazman1973 Tue 25-Nov-14 21:02:21

Please can I see proof for this? I have had the same Facebook scare appear on my wall and it seems very unlikely. There are no product recall notices, no public vet statements and no Twitter conversations. Scaremongering about 1 Facebook post (half of it written in capitals which always makes me suspicious) is not ideal. There will always be animals - humans or dogs - that react to a certain food. Equally there will always be the odd piece of food that is off, but making assumptions that a widely available treat that will be bought all over Xmas by thousands of dog owners is potentially fatal is irresponsible. I'm not saying you're wrong BTW but I need more evidence that 1 Facebook post to make such a serious claim.

SistersOfPercy Wed 26-Nov-14 17:46:46

I read this earlier and treated it with a pinch of salt, but....

Almost 12 months ago to the day I gave my 13 year old Westie, Bob, a Jumbone. It wasn't unusual and he often had one when the shopping was delivered. About half an hour after he ate it he began to vomit and cough. I rushed him to the vets who treated him for sickness. He came home and it became apparent he couldn't then drink without starting to cough again. By now he'd aspirated. He was readmitted to the vets but by the following evening we had to say goodbye. The vet did x-ray and said she thought he had a cancer (he was old and had experienced some weight loss prior to this).

I blamed myself for a while for giving him the treat, though my lovely vet said she thought it was probably brought on by his organs shutting down due to being ill.
Thinking about it sensibly I had a very old, probably cancerous little dog who died after eating a Jumbone. I'm guessing it had nothing at all to do with the bone but the whole thing did make me think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now