Talk

Advanced search

considering fostering

(10 Posts)
PrettyPictures92 Sat 22-Nov-14 12:54:18

Heya, I'm considering fostering with the charity "any dog will do" rescue. Had a really lovely phone call with the coordinator last night about it, we chatted about things and outlined breads/sizes/behaviours of dogs that I wouldn't be willing to foster and a general "get to know you and your family" type conversation as well as her making sure that I understood how difficult it can be emotionally and time wise; and ensuring that I was able to cope with the demands that rescue dogs come with. Most of which I already knew and am prepared for, I know it's not going to be a walk in the park and that a lot of dogs come with background problems that cause them lots of different difficulties.

She seemed quite happy and the next step is a home visit and while I've quite a nice home to offer and a decent sized garden, I'm fairly active etc, I'm just a bit nervous! Originally I'd intended to adopt but I read some of the stories about the dogs needing a foster home on their website and it broke my heart to think of them having such a bad start to life and being stuck in kennels for so long because no one was willing to adopt them while they haven't been assessed in normal family life. So fostering it is!

What sort of things do they look for when they do a home visit? My home is fairly spacious but the kitchen is quite tiny and the woman mentioned that a dog might need somewhere to be alone, there's always my bedroom during the day time (as no one but me is allowed in there) and free roam of the sitting room/kitchen at night, would that be a problem?

We also don't have a 6 ft fence any longer, the wind damaged it badly a couple months ago and the whole thing had to come down. It's still got the original 4 ft fence up though and is fairly secure.

I'm also a bit worried about how hard it'll be when the dog does get adopted, though I think that the pain of that happening will be far outweighed by the happiness of being able to help the dog adjust to family life and find a better life and home.

So any tips/advice? Anything I need to do to make sure that my home is suitable when they come to visit? Thanks smile

PrettyPictures92 Sat 22-Nov-14 13:45:21

Bump, anyone?

Tortoise Sat 22-Nov-14 13:51:32

I've fostered 4 dogs, last one ended up staying lol. We fell in love with him. We now have 3 dogs grin.
I wouldn't think size would be an issue.
A dog crate can be good for the dogs own space and also somewhere safe for it if you go out. My 3rd foster was a terrible chewer and crate hater so I couldn't go out without him. It is hard saying goodbye but I'm glad my first 3 are in happy forever homes.

PrettyPictures92 Sat 22-Nov-14 14:02:44

Size is an issue for me insofar as a dog such as ridgeback or great dane is just too big for me to feel comfortable having around the dc at their age (both for the dogs protection in case they would try and treat him like a horse and for there's in case they become frightened if he runs towards them/is playing and sends them flying).

I will get a dog crate, I've never really agreed with them but I suppose they make a lot of sense, and it's not like the dog needs to be shut in it often.

CleaninQueen Sat 22-Nov-14 16:59:13

They'll check to see if your garden is secure and the fence is tall enough. They'll have a general chat with you about dogs and answer questions you have. They'll also want to know more about your lifestyle and children's lifestyle to match the correct Dog up.

Bubble2bubble Sat 22-Nov-14 17:43:16

I think I security is the big thing - your fence will not be enough for big dogs but could be perfectly fine for many smaller ones. It sounds like you've already had a pretty good chat about what you can and can't do which is great.
It is emotional. I can honestly say I have cried sometimes uncontrollably in front of complete strangers every time one of my fosters has left and if for one minute I thought there was something wrong in any of their new homes I would drive overnight to go and get them back-- but when you see the photos of the sad dog you took in bounding around with his new family it is all worth it.
I have never used crates either, but my house has already been completely destroyed by two pups ( who are now my lovely eight year old dogs ) so I am not too bothered by any more damage. I have gone through housetraining with both pups and older dogs which some people would hate, but with hard floors everywhere and being able to stay at home most of the time it really doesn't bother me.
There is such a desparate need - well done for making the decision to go for it and good luck!

Ashwagandha Sat 22-Nov-14 17:53:16

My mum became a fosterer recently. Lasted about three days before deciding to adopt the gorgeous old boy she was fostering! Very short career smile

Tortoise Sat 22-Nov-14 23:12:39

I meant garden/house size. I never agreed with grates either but it is the only way I can leave our 'failed foster' dog. He barks constantly if not crated when I'm out!
I did find I was very nervous of dc being around an unknown dog although they are all over 10 so know the rules. They found it hard saying goodbye.

PrettyPictures92 Sun 23-Nov-14 00:24:42

Sorry folks, been a busy day/night. Thanks everyone smile I'm quite excited about it but nervous about the home visit, keep thinking about all the ways it could go wrong (kids suddenly becoming hooligans/random disasters that have never happened like the kitchen catching fire/me saying all the wrong things etc).

Think the hardest challenge for me would be wanting to adopt any dog that arrives, but I'll try refrain from that lol grin

livelablove Sun 23-Nov-14 00:34:27

I think its a great thing to do. I am sure they want you to foster so if there are any issues with the house they would talk it over with you and see if you could get something sorted out. Maybe have a little chat with the DC about it beforehand and explain they have to seem like kids who would help the foster dogs feel at home and be kind and not do anything to scare them when they first come and might be a bit nervous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now