Talk

Advanced search

considering rehoming my dogs, can anyone tak to me...?

(11 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Sat 22-Nov-14 12:36:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsWolowitz Sat 22-Nov-14 12:38:06

RudyMentary Sat 22-Nov-14 12:44:01

snala Sat 22-Nov-14 12:44:11

Could you possibly use dog walkers to ease the load?

LeopardInABobbleHat Sat 22-Nov-14 13:00:28

Is there a decent Dog Daycare near you? They are often not as expensive as people think - ours is only a £1 or two more than just an hour's dog walking and they walk the dogs twice daily as well as having indoor agility for dogs that want it.

I second not trying to jump the gun on this though. They'll come to no harm with a sedate walk from you and more energetic walks with your DH for now, until you know what you're dealing with wrt your health.

tabulahrasa Sat 22-Nov-14 13:12:41

Firstly don't make any huge decisions until you have definite answers about your health and wait and see how well you are all coping.

Secondly...yes your dogs are young, energetic and used to long walks and runs, but they'll get older anyway and they would adapt to a different lifestyle.

There are lots of ways to keep dogs mentally busy and so tire them out without also exhausting yourself. Yes they might lose out on some walks, but the trade off is that they get to keep their family.

If you want to keep them there are practical solutions to walking, like dog walkers, giving them jobs to do round the house, get the DC to play with them more in the garden (that's pretty much a win win as it tires the DC out too).

Obviously if it is too much you still then have the option of rehoming them - but you sound like you don't really want to, so I'd leave that as a last resort.

muttynutty Sat 22-Nov-14 13:14:33

MrsWolowitz I am sorry you are having to go through this. It sounds worrying and very unsettling.

I agree with Leopard - do not make any decisions at the minute. I know it gives you a feeling of control in a very unsettled time but you may make the wrong decision.

Your dogs are happy with you and you love them - so they really will not care if they have a slightly different routine.

There will be solutions: Do you belong to a training club or running club - you may find members would love to give your guys a run for you.

The cinnamon trust is really for older people and terminally ill but they could also help or suggest people who would be willing to walk your dogs.

If you wish to pm I could put feelers out for people in your area who may be able to help.

Obviously I have no idea of how you feel but would exercising them differently be a possibility? Eg ball throwing or scent work in a smaller area than you run - it will tire the dogs out without you having to do too much.

I am sure the great minds of MN could come up with a plan to help you - I think the presence of your dogs may be beneficial to you - we can work out a plan to get them exercised

muttynutty Sat 22-Nov-14 13:15:47

What breed are the dogs?

LexiPro Sat 22-Nov-14 13:16:36

Agree with Rudy, best not to overthink it as impossible to plan anything at this stage and you'll make yourself feel really low.
Young dogs tend to get less lively when they grow up, also they can adapt to less exercise at any age as long as they've got their people around them.
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, had 2 large lively dogs and I'd run and walk for hours with them. Then I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and was heartbroken as I thought I'd have to rehome. Thankfully things weren't as bad as I thought and I've still got them. Some days I have to walk very slowly while they run around or chase a ball but they're quite happy and I always feel better for going out. Young dogs soon grow older and get less lively. There's always the option of a dog walker if I get a really bad day but so far haven't needed to use one.
Hope things work out for you smile.

Floralnomad Sat 22-Nov-14 13:19:04

TBH your dogs will adjust to the amount of exercise you are able to give them and you can do more mental stuff at home with them which is just as tiring as a good walk ,if not more so . Unless you actually know someone who will take them on I think they are definitely better off staying with you

moosemama Sat 22-Nov-14 17:48:08

I have been where you are and had all the same thoughts re my dogs. I was also terrified of the diagnosis I was facing, but over two years on from that point they are still here. (In fact we took on a new one last year, as my elder boy was grieving badly for the loss of his best friend.)

My health problem means that I go through periods of being very tired and debiltated, but my dogs have adjusted to being walked by my dh during those times and we get around it by doing lots of mental exercise, sprinkles, clicker training (great thing being I can do this from the comfort of the sofa if necessary), hiding things for them to find, setting up puzzles with treats hidden inside increasingly complicated combinations of cardboard boxes etc - as others have said, I find this tends to tire them out much more than a long walk does. Honestly just a few five-ten minute sessions a day is all it takes, although obviously you can do more if you're up to it.

When I'm not well but able to walk them, I either take a ball flinger or try to do walks where they get as much off-lead time as possible, while I perch-sit and enjoy watching them run. The beauty of having two dogs is that, to some extent, they exercise each other. I also try to chose places with lots of interesting smells for them to investigate if I can. Then dh supplements that with lead walks in the evenings. We also tend to do longer walks as a family at the weekends and then I can sit on a bench and enjoy some fresh air while the dogs get a really good run.

I have also researched local dog-walkers and have the number of a good local one that actually walks the same routes as I tend to myself. Thankfully haven't needed to use them yet, but I came very close to earlier this year.

On one occasion, when my health was particularly bad and dh was busy with work, we booked the dogs into the kennels for a week. They love it there, I knew they were being well looked after, were getting lots of walks every day, plus free-play time in the paddock - and there was the added bonus that they were so exhausted when they came home that they slept for almost 48 hours straight! I find it reassuring to know that I have that option again should the need arise.

I tend to think that as my dogs have both been with me since pups, we have a strong bond and they are happy. Rehoming them would be a huge upheaval for them and I honestly believe that, unless I reach a point of not being able to care for them properly, they are best off here with their family, that knows and loves them than being rehomed.

I don't know what health problems you are facing, but mine is lifelong and relapses and remits. The length of time I'm ill for can vary, as can the severity of the symptoms, but I make the most of the times in between when I feel healthier and would really miss being able to enjoy being with my dogs during those times. I actually think having the dogs benefits my health, as it encourages me to get out and walk whenever I can, whereas I probably wouldn't if they weren't here.

Sorry to hear you are facing a scary diagnosis, hope it turns out not to be a serious as you think and you are able to come to the right decision for you and your family. flowers

As others have said. There's no need to make a decision now. See how it goes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now