Talk

Advanced search

Next best to raw?

(10 Posts)
VillyCazalet Wed 19-Nov-14 18:57:35

I feed raw but a friend asked me what dry food is best. Can anyone advise, I'm a bit out of the kibble loop now! Milly wolfheart or something (I'm sure I've heard of that!)

PersonalClown Wed 19-Nov-14 19:14:12

Orijin is excellent. 80/20 ration of meat/protein to fruits and veg but is very expensive. Nearly £100 for a 13.5 kg bag. Or go for Acana (same company) for a lower 65/35 ratio.

Grain free is usually better to go with. I have to as I have an allergic Staffy.
Barking Heads, Fish4Dogs, Burns, James Wellbeloved etc all do grain free versions now.

I usually get Simpsons Premium. It's a British company using locally sourced food so it's cheaper. Again it's an 80/20 ratio but it's between £45 and £55 a 12kg bag. The higher quality the ingredients, the less you have to feed.

I would do raw but I just don't have the space in this tiny house!

LoathsomeDrab Wed 19-Nov-14 20:22:23

Millie's Wolfheart is brilliant stuff. It's all grain free and they do various formulations ranging from 50/50 meat/veg to 75/25. It's British made and I believe all the ingredients are British aside from the rabbit which is French. It's positively bargainous compared to similar foods.

I've got three on the Countryside Mix and one a 50/50 combination of the Countryside Mix and Salmon & Veg. It's definitely the best food I've ever used for my lot (and I used to feed Orijen and Acana), they look (and quite obviously feel) fabulous on it.

VillyCazalet Wed 19-Nov-14 21:05:49

Thank you very much, really helpful smile

lastnightIwenttoManderley Wed 19-Nov-14 21:54:15

We alternate between Eden and Bob & Lush. Grain free and high meat content

NCIS Wed 19-Nov-14 22:06:21

Try Gentle dog food, I'm just in the process of transferring mine to this from a raw complete, (lots of reasons nothing to do with how raw suits him) and he seems fine on it. It is supposed to be very close to raw.

VillyCazalet Thu 20-Nov-14 05:42:03

Thank you very much, I'll look these up

SimoneAdriaan Thu 20-Nov-14 14:29:48

Another great option is to go with Nature's menu raw (lightly steamed) pouches or frozen nuggets! convenient and still good for them. I raw feed, but keep a few bags in the freezer for emergencies/attacks of laziness. You can get them in pets at home too so pretty accessible, not too expensive depending on your breed size of course (works out pretty pricey for my huge Lab X Retreiver)

When it comes to kibble I'm on team Orijen, but I've heard great things about Eden, and if I were to go back to dry food, Millies Wolfheart does sound great! I tend to use www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory to check out foods and see whats up there, loads of new brands coming out as the demand for good food is getting much greater!

WeAllHaveWings Thu 20-Nov-14 19:11:36

Another big fan of Millies Wolfheart. Our lab has countryside mix, salmon and veg or gamekeepers. No grain, cheap chicken, etc

Loads of recipes to choose from for different tastes and varying exercise levels.

Fantastic customer service and support.

VillyCazalet Thu 20-Nov-14 19:44:04

Thank you, I'll see if she fancies raw perhaps... If not, plenty to choose from.

I'm almost tempted myself actually. I'm feeding a 51kg dog raw (and s mere 15kg one too!) and its a lot of meat for a vege to handle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now