Talk

Advanced search

Old dog drinking and peeing lots

(31 Posts)
MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 18-Nov-14 21:40:42

Vet not too concerned, says it's old age.

He has me up at least once a night, whining to go out. Sometimes he doesn't make it and pees by the door.

He's currently on Synoquin tablets for a shoulder injury and arthritis. Could this be part of the problem? Dh thinks so but I think he was getting like this before the pills.

Would reducing his water in the evening be ok? Or not? Could do without the nighttime dash to the back door, we live in a big house and I don't always get to him in time.

I was filling his water bowl up twice a day. Now it's four/five times.

Otherwise ok. Shiny coat, usual self.

sad

OttiliaVonBCup Tue 18-Nov-14 21:47:37

Funny, our vet recently asked about changes in drinking habits and said it would be worrying if dog started drinking more than usual.

I don't know. I would not restrict the water though, if he's thirsty he's thirsty.
We used Synoquin but I don't recall any changes with that.

Not much help, sorry.
Hope things work out!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 18-Nov-14 22:55:44

Thanks.

I think I might check with the vet again. Emphasise my concern a bit more.

DinnaeKnowShitFromClay Tue 18-Nov-14 23:03:30

My day job. I'm astonished at the vet dismissing this so casually as usually when animals drink and pee more they are trying to give themselves dialysis! It is likely to be kidney trouble or diabetes, kidneys being the more likely. Has the vet really just done nothing to investigate this? A quick one drop blood test will show up diabetes and 1ml in a tube analysed will tell you the state of the kidneys. Don't withhold water. It's the equivalent of having a banging hangover and being as thirsty as hell and not being able to drink to rectify it. Find a vet that actually wants the animal to be diagnosed, treated and to feel better not just dismissed as 'old' . Old dogs do get these conditions but with medication and dietary care, can get to live to be even older.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 18-Nov-14 23:17:09

Thanks Dinnae. He did have a blood test prior to the X-ray for his shoulder but I don't know exactly what that was checked for.

I think I'll ring them back tomorrow.

MitchellMummy Wed 19-Nov-14 06:17:41

Definitely get back to vet. Could be diabetes or Cushing's too. Shouldn't be Synoquin. Good luck!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 19-Nov-14 13:11:33

Thanks. Rang the vet and they said the same thing, shouldn't be the tablets. Taking him in first thing.

Got to collect a urine sample. Urgh.

OttiliaVonBCup Fri 21-Nov-14 19:50:33

Hope your dog is OK, OP!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 21-Nov-14 21:56:15

Oh yes - thanks! Sorry forgot to check in.

No sugar in wee so ruling out diabetes. Unlikely to be the Synoquin but could possibly be some random reaction so withholding pills for a week to see. Could be renal, liver, kidney or adrenal issue but all treatable. Thank God.

Vet said for his age my old boy is in really good condition. Glossy fur, solid muscle tone and good heartbeat. Slightly overweight but always has been since he was neutered when he was three. He's eleven now and still going strong.

Taking him back Monday for a blood test and monitoring his water intake over the weekend.

He's my first child, that one. grin

OttiliaVonBCup Fri 21-Nov-14 23:28:40

Good luck on Monday.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 22-Nov-14 00:06:30

Cheers Ottilia smile

FoxgloveFairy Sun 23-Nov-14 02:13:41

Sounds, from a non-vet perspective, like late life diabetes. Tablets will help if this is the case. Poor pooch!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 27-Nov-14 15:58:30

No not diabetes, no sugar in wee but thanks anyway.

Still drinking and peeing. Also now keeps being sick. Been back twice for further tests. Vet is convinced it's Cushings. Trying some medication to see if it makes a difference. Blood test results were inconclusive although he has classic symptoms. Will give meds a try for two weeks and then if there's no improvement there is another test he can do.

Including the X-ray for the shoulder last month it's cost me nearly £600. shock

He is worth every penny though. My poor old boy. sad

LAK11 Thu 27-Nov-14 16:02:49

My dog had the same - wee/drink/wee/drink repeat all day and night. It came on suddenly. Vet ruled out Cushings and finally diagnosed with Central Diabetes Insipidus so he has DDVAP eyedrops twice a day (synthetic anti-diuretic hormone) and as long as he is treated all is good

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 27-Nov-14 16:04:00

My lovely old boy smiling for the camera. smile

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 27-Nov-14 16:07:25

That's good LAK, glad you got a good outcome. There definitely wasn't any sugar in his wee though. It would have been a bit more straightforward if there had, it was the first thing they tested for.

lemisscared Thu 27-Nov-14 16:44:31

Diabetes insipidus would not result in sugar in wee, it results in a lack of aniti-diuretic hormones and means that the animal wil produce lots of very dilute wee. It would probably affect specific gravity of the urine which we generally test for, but not in a dipstick test so check that they have done this. It isn't that common though.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 27-Nov-14 16:54:42

Ooh, right, thanks, will ask them.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 28-Nov-14 13:31:30

He didn't have a very good night last night. He wouldn't settle, he's still drinking and weeing lots and he keeps being sick now as well. He hasn't got much appetite and what he does eat he brings up again. I've got some medication for the Cushings which I put in his dinner but he brought it up. He managed a walk this morning though. I think he'd have to be at deaths door before he didn't want to go for a walk.

I had a little moment with him last night. Lay down beside him and wept. He's never been ill before and now he's old it's a big worry. I'm really not ready to let him go just yet. sad

MitchellMummy Fri 28-Nov-14 18:01:24

Aww, sorry to hear this. As he's an old fella (and even if he wasn't) he could have Cushing's AND something else. Cushing's shouldn't make him sick. Maybe needs something for the sickness which should make him feel better. Good luck, keep us posted. x

1wokeuplikethis Fri 28-Nov-14 18:05:01

Our old dog did this and she had pancreatitis. Might be worth checking. Poor old boy.

daisy5569 Fri 28-Nov-14 18:46:29

Have they done an ACTH test to diagnose cushings? I have an old boy with Cushings. He has had it for years and is almost 16. He needs to be tested reguarly to make sure medication levels are right but apart from that you wouldnt know he was ill (apart from being a bit doddery sometimes)
Also the medication I have is in capsule form so I usually just throw it down his throat and he has never been sick.
Hope you get to the bottom of whats up with him x

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 28-Nov-14 20:08:57

Thanks everyone, you're very kind. flowers

He had a test which involved them taking blood, injecting him with something I think, and then taking more blood. I had to leave him there for a bit. Unfortunately the results were inconclusive. There is apparently another test they can do but I just wanted to get him on some medication to relieve his symptoms. Trouble is he throws up so much I'm not sure if they've had any effect. And they were £100 for a months supply. If he's supposed to be on them for life we're going to struggle.

The vet is phoning me back tomorrow. We'll discuss this a bit more then. Hopefully come up with another plan or two.

sad

EasyToEatTiger Fri 28-Nov-14 21:40:15

Whatever the outcome, please assure yourself that you are doing everything you can, and with you he is in the best possible hands. There is no good time to be ready to lose a much loved member of the family. Lots of MN handholding and hugs.

lemisscared Fri 28-Nov-14 22:13:48

You may be able to get the medication online. you will need prescription but you can purchase vet meds online significantly cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now