Talk

Advanced search

feeding method for resistant pup

(5 Posts)
Rhymerocket Mon 17-Nov-14 17:14:08

I have my little border terrier at home now hes almost 9 weeks.

The Breeder had been feeding him on Pedegree puppy nuts and meat. im going to wean him slowly on to Royal Canin dry food.

aside from that. he takes forever to eat. I don't want food sitting all day. how long do u leave your pups food out for him please

JoffreyBaratheon Mon 17-Nov-14 20:32:41

I have a 12 week old pup and she came to me on Wainwright's but I have been adding in meat as well. I feed her the amount according to the guidelines, or a bit less and make it up with meat and it is almost always gone in five minutes. Given the choice, she eats the meat first.

It could be you're over feeding? If you're sure you're feeding the right amount according to the guidelines with that food, then I'd be tempted to split it into 4 if you're doing 3 meals a day - smaller meals might do it. You may also find he eats more or less when you change him over, depending on whether he likes the new food or not. I'd be tempted to change him sooner rather than later if you think he doesn't like what he is getting now.

NetHuns Tue 18-Nov-14 10:56:37

Our pup is 10 weeks old and loves royal canin..he's on 3 meals a day,and I usually leave it out for half an hour..having said that,Dpup loves his food and wolfs most of it down straight awaysmile

Rhymerocket Tue 18-Nov-14 15:12:46

Ihave been putting out four times a day as suggested he wolfs down the first meal of the day and leaves the rest.

daisydotandgertie Wed 19-Nov-14 20:53:46

Sounds like you might be over feeding.

How much do you give at each meal and how heavy is he?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now