Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop my dog peeing on the back door?

(8 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Sat 15-Nov-14 13:57:35

So many times this week I've had to go outside after the dog has been out and rinse the back door off because he's pee'd on it and of course, made a puddle right outside the back door. It's really starting to get on my nerves now. How can we stop him?

TheCunnyFunt Sat 15-Nov-14 13:59:52

Should make it clear, he's doing it on the outside, not the inside.

SistersOfPercy Sat 15-Nov-14 14:38:49

Mine does this, mostly when its cold and wet because he doesn't want to go out so he does it as close to the door as possible. The only thing that works for me is to stand on the step physically telling him to 'go on' until he actually goes out properly.
Sounds like yours is a fair weather dog like mine grin

TheCunnyFunt Sat 15-Nov-14 14:49:58

He is a Greyhound, of course Greys are notoriously intolerant to any kind of weather grin but he poos on the grass, just pees on the bloody back door!

SistersOfPercy Sat 15-Nov-14 14:53:12

Lol mine is a Scottie, you'd think he'd be honed to the cold of the scottish highlands but first sign of cold and wet and his delicate little paws won't leave the bloody house.

Is there a post on the grass? Or could you put one there? Perhaps roll it in an existing wee to get it good and smelly? With Murphy I just have to keep pushing and walking him further into the yard and he will go eventually.

How about putting a bucket/plant pot or something by the door and hoping he cocks his leg up that then slowly moving it further away from the door?

MarcoPoloCX Sat 15-Nov-14 17:11:51

Our lawn is elevated. My two dogs usually go toilet on the grass but lately they have been peeing on the patio and on my fat Buddha statue outside the back door. Maybe it's old and they are too lazy to go up. At least they still poo on the grass.

TheCunnyFunt Sat 15-Nov-14 22:42:13

Well there's loads of stuff to pee on (loads of different plants and a few metres of fence) around 2 edges of the grass that already smells of pee. He's just an awkward git. And he won't toilet at all if you're out there/standing in the doorway/with the back door open. If you put him outside and stand and wait, he'll just stare at you like 'I don't need the toilet. Aren't you letting me back in?' So you go inside, shut the door, look through the kitchen window and watch him do a massive pee and a poo. After he's pretended he didn't need to do anything grin if you leave the door open and walk away from it, he'll just come straight back inside.

I truly believe that he would never empty his bladder or bowels ever again if I didn't force him outside. He once went 17 hours without going. I was ill so went to bed early and got up really late. First thing I did was make the dog go downstairs and outside. 17 hours of not going, and even then he was 'Ohhh do I HAVE to go outside??'

emjones0115 Mon 20-Mar-17 22:18:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now