Talk

Advanced search

He's coming home!!!! HELP!

(13 Posts)
Rhymerocket Sat 15-Nov-14 07:30:58

My gorgeous new Border terrier pup is coming home today. I have a crate in place and plan to use it from the start.
Just wondered about a collar? Do you recommend a collar or a shoulder harness? I don't want to hurt his wee neck!

Rhymerocket Sat 15-Nov-14 07:32:25

Sorry my main question which in my excitement I forgot to add was.... How do I stop him crying all night?

IceRocket Sat 15-Nov-14 07:36:51

Hi congrats on your new puppy. I'll tell you what we did.

We got a collar regardless of harness as a tag needs to be worn. Also we had crate in our room for a few nights then moved it gradually away. Our pup is now happily downstairs at night.

IceRocket Sat 15-Nov-14 07:41:24

We started with a collar and lead and she is walking well on week 1 but my DP likes to let her have the odd jog so she's now starting to pull. I'll be getting a harness this weekend as she has to learn to walk by our side when on a lead

Rhymerocket Sat 15-Nov-14 07:43:52

Thanks Icerocket, I wasn't sure if I should bring him up but I guess moving him put gradually is a good idea. Thanks. We have a little padded puppy collar for him so I will stick with that this week then look at harness. X

IceRocket Sat 15-Nov-14 08:53:53

He can't go out until he's had his second lot of injections anyway so you Probably have some time to decide. Enjoy getting your new pup it's hard work but an absolute treat grin

EvenBetter Sat 15-Nov-14 10:50:57

Theres a play by Sally Bradbury on that facebook group about puppies first nights, it was something like put them in their cage when they're fast asleep after being cuddled, leaving them to cry in distress does not make them magically ok with being alone. Didn't read it properly though because I'd never use a cage, but it's on facebook.

EvenBetter Sat 15-Nov-14 10:52:28

Post, not play!
I ipattach the lead to a harness, attaching it to collars can cause serious damage to ligaments, tendons, windpipe, spine etc. plus a dog who is straining on a dollar has their air supply cut off, so can't think clearly.

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 15-Nov-14 11:53:47

Our's was in our room first night in crate but I made the mistake of leaving it open. She cried a few seconds not to be on the bed with us then fell asleep. But woke crying, very briefly, 5 times in the night.

Next night, she cried til we took her bed out of the crate and let her sleep on the floor on her bed next to me. Only woke a couple of times and went straight back to sleep when I put my hand next to her.

Third night she managed to jump onto our high bed and I was terrified of her falling off or us rolling on her in the night so compromised and put her bed at our feet, where she slept a couple more nights, waking several times and walking on my head, so I had to gently put her back into her bed where she stayed and fell back asleep although I woke to find her on my head again in the morning.

By the end of the week we were so sleep deprived, we made her go cold turkey. Waited til she was sleepy and left her crate in the living room - closed it and walked out. She cried on and off most of the night.

The next night - in the crate again. We said we'd give it a few more days and if she couldn't settle, bring the crate up to our room and suffer the crying at closer quarters. She settled immediately, didn't cry once and slept through the night.

Have had her 2 weeks today and last night she took herself to her crate around 10 pm and we had to wake her when we went to bed to toilet her.

It seems a bit brutal going cold turkey but we ballsed it up. Should have been in the crate first night, closed. Our mistake was leaving the crate open. We fully intended to settle her in the crate next to our bed and slowly move it to the door, then the hall, then downstairs. But I was wrongfooted by someone saying to me "Put her in the crate but leave it open".

Although that said, we now already have her safely in the crate all night in the warmest spot in the house, and that first night when we left her and she cried - she doesn't seem to have any negative feelings about her crate as she choose to go in it. We did feed her at least one meal a day in the crate and put her toys and treats in there, though so had already worked hard to establish it was a fun place.

I crate trained my last staffy, 14 years ago, when crate training was a fairly new thing and it was one of the best things we ever did. By the time he was one, the crate door was never closed ever again but we left the crate and his bed under the kitchen table and when he had enough or wanted some peace and quiet, he'd head straight for it. It was his absolute place of safety. My other dog came to me aged 2 not crate trained and past the age where she needed it but I often felt she missed out as he had a 'den' and she never did. Somehow a basket is not as good.

JoffreyBaratheon Sat 15-Nov-14 11:57:10

Forgot to say but I have always used those harnesses which have a central ring on the dog's chest so they lead from the front. My last dog had two eye operations and so the vet told us never to put her lead on a collar ever again.

So I'd like a harness for pup but as she will be growing fast I'd like one that will fit her from 3 months - 6 months say. Have looked on Amazon etc and can't find anything that looks adaptable, and I think the smallest Lupi is still too big (she is a staffy/JRT cross so we have no idea what size she is going to end up - right now she is just like a small staffy pup). Anyone got any suggestions for a puppy harness that has a bit of growth room in it?

Jammygal Sat 15-Nov-14 13:55:10

The perfect fit dog harness is the one to go for ...pricy but so comfy! Also you can replace separate parts of it as they grow ;)

dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness

Rhymerocket Sat 15-Nov-14 19:48:16

Thank u all! He has been home since 3 and has quickly learned that the crate is where he can go to escape the kids. He cried in the car home Burgas been busy since we got home either playing with the kids or sleeping lol. Fingers crossed for tonight.

Karbea Sun 16-Nov-14 10:22:11

I crate trained and wore a collar. Our crate is in the hall downstairs and we left our door open so we could hear if he cried.
I got up every two hours at first to take him to the loo, so I guess he knew I'd be coming back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now