Talk

Advanced search

how to find a good groomer?

(6 Posts)
frankie80 Wed 12-Nov-14 12:46:48

I'm looking to change my cockerpoo's groomer but as I'm a relatively new dog mummy I'm not sure what I should be looking for?

I've been looking online and thru facebook. Lots of them say 'qualified' or 'experienced' but not what their qualifications actually are or pictures of their qualifications.

Very few mention where they were groomed but not what training they got if that makes sense?

I'm changing the groomer I have as the one I used is apparently qualified, the cut was okay but her grooming 'room' was a cupboard under the stairs with no qualifications on display.

What do I look for and what do I ask? I want to know in advance but its very easy for someone to say 'yes I'm qualified and insured etc etc'.

Any groomers on here?

hoochymama1 Wed 12-Nov-14 13:03:06

Hi frankie smile I asked around other local dog owners and we found a lovely one for d pup wink

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 12-Nov-14 13:03:20

I am most concerned with how much time and care they take ith my dog.
I do not want to take my dog somewhere where he is 'strung' up for the entire hour with no rest.
My groomer takes him for three hours, she does a bit, he plays with the other dogs, she does a bit more, he plays some more and so on.
My groomers place is not pretty, it is a couple of old bull pens, but she has her certificate of public liability on the wall and my dog adores her.

PersonalClown Wed 12-Nov-14 13:08:13

Ask around at vets and on walks.

Mine takes about 2 hours on the ball of fluff Doodle. They have dedicated premises and City and Guild qualifications.
Not to mention taking part in grooming contests and being invited to groom show dogs at Crufts.

I love my groomers.

frankie80 Wed 12-Nov-14 13:15:29

where they were 'trained' not 'groomed' just noticed that error lol

TheRealMaudOHara Thu 13-Nov-14 13:52:26

My new groomer spent half an hour talking about ddog's personality, showing me pictures, discussing how best to cut his coat etc - a far longer consultation than I ever had for my own hair! She took 3 hours for his first groom and he's tiny. Definitely speak to the groomer, ask about what they do and how they like to work, you can get a good sense of what they're about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now