Talk

Advanced search

should i keep my dog/hide him

(19 Posts)
ghostspirit Tue 11-Nov-14 20:32:40

A while back i asked my landlord verbally if i could have a dog. they said yes. all been ok for 18 months. Then there was an issues with repairs for the house i was being charged for repairs that were not down to me. anyway i was told if i did not pay for the repairs they would evict me. I told them to do it. got my eviction day. council asked me why i was being evicted i told them it was due to repairs. Landlords told them it was due to repairs and because i have the dog. Anyway i had environmental health to my house to proove the repairs were not down to me. The council have said they are going to pay alot of money for the repairs. to avoid me becoming homeless. although in 5 years all the landlords have ever done is fit a new shower hose... But also i have been told i have to get rid of the dog. I dont have a leg to stand on as in tenancy it says no animals it was only verbally they said yes and i think it was because i refused to pay for the repairs so i feel it was done in spite.

The dog is the best ever. Hes 9 years old and he has had difficult time. he was with his first owner for most of his life then she had to rehome him. But then she found out the new owner was beating him and she got him back. He then came to live with me and my kids. he was quite scared and stressed when he first kept pooing in the house and every time we popped out he would be trembling and cowering in the corner. Was alwful to see. we just kept praising him and making a fuss when we came in. He no longer does it anymore and hardly ever messes in the house. only if left longer than he should be. When we are out he walks next to use with his lead in his mouth. all my kids can walk him as well. i will stop rambling...

He is a 9 year old staff. I did avertise him on fb pages i did get some messages but when i checked their profile/pics it was young people. and pics of them puffing. I dont want to risk him being used as bait/fighting. And alot of dog kennels/ rspca and such places put staffs down becasue there are so many of them his age is also against him. Anyway i was thinking about keeping him and every time landlord is due round. to get my 17 year old to take him for a walk. just make sure i fabreeze/ make house smell dog free... Just wondering what people think. thanks

CleaninQueen Tue 11-Nov-14 20:45:06

Try Bullies in need they'll put him in a foster home and find the best possible situation. They won't put him down. Hiding the dog would just cause more problems.

MsMcWoodle Tue 11-Nov-14 22:46:36

So sorry to hear this. I'm a landlady and encourage pets as I love animals. One set of tenants have 2 dogs and only told me about one of them. I didn't mind apart from their dishonesty. Can't you try to negotiate?
I was useless to lie to me. The neighbours told me anyway.

Wolfiefan Tue 11-Nov-14 22:49:49

Please don't advertise him on fb.
Your tenancy doesn't allow dogs. You can keep him but expect to be evicted.
Perhaps the landlord wants you out because the dog has messed in the house?

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 11-Nov-14 22:53:55

Could you get a Housing Association place on the strength of being evicted? A lot of them allow pets...

I'd be tempted to do whatever you can to keep him, given all the problems he has had and because he's happy with you?

ghostspirit Wed 12-Nov-14 08:56:05

no i cat get housing association have to be on housing list for that. im on the list for over crowding but have a roof over my head so be lucky to get a place if at all...

It was about 6/8 months ago when he last messed in the house plus it was where lino is and landlords never knew about it because it was all cleaned. It was defo done in spite because they said i could have him verbally then when i refused to pay for repairs they reported me for having him.

ghostspirit Wed 12-Nov-14 08:56:45

meant 'cant get housing association

ghostspirit Wed 12-Nov-14 09:27:34

im wondering if its worth asking them if i can keep the dog if i pay them a deposit

mrslaughan Wed 12-Nov-14 10:13:27

I think it is always worth asking...however I would want it then in writing and I wouldn't ever expect to see the deposit back........

ghostspirit Wed 12-Nov-14 10:23:53

i wont exspect to see it back to be honest. my original deposit went missing...

ghostspirit Wed 12-Nov-14 16:02:40

i got to pay 500 deposit and have inspections every 3 months

VivaLeBeaver Wed 12-Nov-14 18:36:40

Id hide the dog at inspection time. I know someone who rents a no pet house and has 7 cats and has even put a cat flap in the door. Three years of inspections and the landlord hasn't twigged.

ghostspirit Wed 12-Nov-14 19:18:51

im tempted. but it only needs for a knock on the door and the dog to bark and i will be in trouble

ghostspirit Sat 15-Nov-14 13:50:39

i have been told if i pay 500 pounds i can keep the dog. i dont know if i should do it or not. i really dont want to get rid of the dog. but also it will have a big effect on xmas for the kids. its only me that buys for the kids. so its not like i can get away with a couple of bits then top it up with things that others buy for them.

not sure what to do....

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Nov-14 15:04:13

Negotiate. Say you can't afford £500 but could manage say £200. Which should cover any professional cleaning/carpet shampooing when you leave.

ghostspirit Sat 15-Nov-14 19:43:38

they wont negotiate sad

DarkHeart Sun 16-Nov-14 16:15:10

Could you pay the £500 in 12 month instalments added to your rent?

MrsCSoprano Sun 16-Nov-14 16:25:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ghostspirit Sun 16-Nov-14 17:26:25

darkheart no im not allowed the dog back till it has been paid..

mrscsoprano they are well dodgy. but i cant move i want to. but i dont have money for a deposit that would be about 2000. deposit went walk abouts. i dont have any proof of my deposit. there was a thing about them a while ago. 400 thousand went missing in housing benefit. theres been no repairs in my house for 5 years they tried to charge me. i had to get environmental to my house to proove disrepair was not down to me. although 400 thousand has gone missing and the council know they are dody they are paying 1400 for repairs so that im not made homeless. so not on,y are they paying them rent but paying for their repairs as well. I don't know why the council did not just help me with deposit for a new place. its all to avoid me becoming homeless.

www.channel4.com/news/housing-benefit-landlords-london-housing-solutions-rent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now