Talk

Advanced search

Dogs and clagnuts.

(21 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 19:34:56

I swear I'm not the dog poo troll.

What's the best way to prevent this?

Used to have a short hair dog with no clagnuts.

Now have a wire hair terrier type and also a fluffy puppy. Fluffy puppy is white so clagnuts are noticeable.

Yesterday I bathed her to get them off. Ten minutes later she's got more. I ended up wiping her bum.

More there today, tried wiping her bum again and they're crusted into the hair. Her hair actually isn't that long as she's only 14 weeks.

Do I need some dog bumhole scissors and just make sure her fur is really short round there? Checked the other dog and he's got them as well.

Its all a bit gross. They're on the beds and sofas.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 11-Nov-14 19:39:23

Not a dog owner but can you shave the general area and maybe apply Vaseline to prevent clingage?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 19:52:14

Mmm, I don't know they'd stay still long enough to be shaved. And Vaseline would just come off all over the beds and sofas. Think I'm going have to try with scissors.

pigsDOfly Tue 11-Nov-14 19:57:49

I have a very fluffy long haired dog Viva so try to keep the hair around her actual bum very short. Don't have a pair of actual 'bum hole scissors' just use normal hairdressers scissorssmile

I also leave a sort of parting between the hair that hangs down under her tail, if that makes sense, so she has a space to poo - not explaining this awfully well - so when she's standing up and you look at her rear end, there is a space for the poo to come out without touching the hair at the sides iyswim - wish I had a photo to show you.

Is your dogs' poo fairly soft? I find that if my dog's poo is nice and firm it tends to not get caught in the hair anyway, it's only if it's a bit runny that we have problems - probably TMI.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 20:01:44

I understand the parting, makes sense.

Will buy some scissors, the will be "dog bum" scissors in the sense they will be reserved purely for the dogs bum hair. Don't fancy cutting up lettuce with them as well. grin

So will have a go at cutting in a parting.

Puppy's poo especially is quite soft and I'm not sure Royal Canin is agreeing with her so am about to start the gradual transition over to a different dog food which I'm hoping may improve things.

youbethemummylion Tue 11-Nov-14 20:02:54

I have a fluffy Bichon, my advice is keep the hair in that area shorter (visit a groomer if you cant do it yourself) and feed it good quality food (raw is best) so the poos are harder then they don't get stuck.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 11-Nov-14 20:03:19

Also , I'm sure I have seen some dog walkers wiping dogs bum with a wet wipe after. Would that help?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 20:19:13

My fluffy one is half Bichon. I don't have the freezer space for raw but am moving to Millie's Wolfheart which is meant to be good.

pigsDOfly Tue 11-Nov-14 20:19:46

Agree about not cutting up lettuce with the scissors as wellsmile

Don't know if you can get scissors especially for dogs' bums but I use a pair of hairdressers' scissors I bought from Boots. I find they're a really good shape for getting a close cut on what is essentially a moving target - okay now but it took a while before dog agreed to stand still for the process.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 20:19:55

If I can catch her after every poo then wet wipes would work. Its when she poos when I'm not about.

Booboostoo Tue 11-Nov-14 20:22:45

You need to clip the hairs, cutting them with scissors is a bit risky, if she wiggles a bit it's easy to injure her.

I'd also reconsider her diet. Really sticky poo is not normal.

TheCunnyFunt Tue 11-Nov-14 20:46:26

I've read a thread on here before about this, iirc one poster said that she has a poodley type dog and she trims a 'shit chute' grin to stop dangle berries grin

moosemama Tue 11-Nov-14 21:19:11

With a wriggly pup I'd advise using curved, blunt ended scissors to prevent possible injuries. I used to use toddler nail scissors on the more delicate areas of my Soft Coated Wheaten until she was used to standing still for a full groom.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 21:21:42

Toddler nail scissors are a fab idea. Thanks everyone.

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 11-Nov-14 22:59:49

Canine bum holes get shaved around these parts. My poodley thing gets terrible klingons if not kept tidy. The things we do for love, eh?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 23:01:43

So when you say shave do you use a Bic, or dog clippers?

TwelveLeggedWalk Tue 11-Nov-14 23:03:22

Move to the coast. Our dog goes swimming A LOT. He thinks it's because he enjoys it but it solves this delightful issue. Even in February. Mwah ha ha.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 23:06:25

Older dog hates water so can't be convinced to swim in the river.

youbethemummylion Tue 11-Nov-14 23:37:22

If your pup is half Bichon I imagine you will have to take them to be groomed regularly anyway as a Bichon coat doesn't stop growing. They will clip around the bum area for you.

SnakeyMcBadass Wed 12-Nov-14 08:14:28

Clippers. No.1 guide comb. Also, baby wipes are your friend. As stated, though, a good quality food solves most sticky issues.

SistersOfPercy Thu 13-Nov-14 15:14:32

I have clagnut scissors in my grooming bag, just a small pair. He gets his bum area trimmed regularly much to his disgust grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now