Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dog poo, an issue of frequency!

(7 Posts)
r2d2ismyidealman Mon 10-Nov-14 12:28:58

Hi, What do you think of this?

I used to feed my dogs a mix of 1/2 wet food (for flavour) and 1/2 dry. On that they had quite reasonable poo, about twice a day, easy to "execute", could have been darker but was firm, etc.

I then learned that the dry I was using wasn't as good for them so I've moved up brand to Millies Wolfheart countryside mix, and I crumble a much smaller amount of wet food (for flavour) on the top, and increased the amount of dry.

They've had two massive poos today (after pooing probably three times yesterday) and I notice that they are working a little harder to execute these. They are darker poos, but equally well formed. I think they might be smellier.

I introduced the new food regime Saturday so it could still just be early days but I'm concerned they need to poo so much and that it's a little harder to do. What do you think?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Nov-14 19:14:29

I've just ordered some Millie's Wolfheart and one of the things I've read is that a lot of people ifind that their dogs poos are firmer and smaller and that they poo less often.

I'm hoping this is the case for my dogs. One of mine is a non stop shitting maching. 6x a day no problem!

digerd Mon 10-Nov-14 20:12:16

I have always fed my adult dogs dry food just once a day and they poo only once a day.
Vets told me the poo should be as firm as possible to enable the anal glands to be emptied fully.

r2d2ismyidealman Tue 11-Nov-14 10:26:30

OK, so perspective is always helpful - 6 poos Viva!!! You poor thing. I like the Millie's, which one did you order?

And that's an interesting point Digerd as one of mine does suffer particularly with her anal glands and she's the one more struggling to poo - so this change of diet could actually help her?

I've also since wondered if they have become a bit dehydrated from moving on to more dry than they were used to so I've added a couple of tablespoons of water to the dry to see if that helps.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 11-Nov-14 17:25:07

Yes, not house trained either. So far today she's done 3 poos in the house. Two within five mins of each other. My carpets are wrecked. They're beyond rescue.

Her poo seems quite unformed at times as well. So one might be ok, ten mins later there's a more runny pile.

The Wolfheart has turned up today. Gone for the countryman version.

Have mixed some in with the royal Canin today and hope it makes a difference ASAP. I'm beginning to think I've got a dog with Crohns!

muttynutty Tue 11-Nov-14 18:40:32

My guess is that you are overfeeding. It is not advised to add wet food with dry. The dry food is complete and is digested at a different rate to wet food. Many dogs will have problems being given both together.

Millies is a complete and rich food so make sure you are giving the right quantity. It will not seem much but that is ok. Which Millies are you feeding?

r2d2ismyidealman Wed 12-Nov-14 08:58:42

Oh dear, Viva, that sounds really awful.

Thanks Mutty, I'm following Millies guidance on what to feed them. I have the countryside mix which is one for not very active dogs (mine sleep unless they are eating, walking or being cuddled), and I give the lesser amount stated in the guidelines( I don't have that to hand).

More importantly, I discussed this with my OH last night because when he feeds them he over feeds them. Now that I know this I can work on that. But the dogs are working on him! They got him up earlier this morning and he fed them, argh! My schedule is about to change and I will then be up so early that I can't imagine he will sneak in and feed them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now