Talk

Advanced search

Biggy is booked in for de-bollocking. what do I need to know?

(16 Posts)
TheDowagerDuchessOfDinglyDell Mon 10-Nov-14 10:59:46

Next week. Feeling a bit PFD over it all.
I assume he'll need the cone of shame? How long for? What about walks? Pain? Recovery? Will he ever forgive me?

EasyToEatTiger Mon 10-Nov-14 11:40:12

STOP ANTHROPOMORPHISING!!!! It's not you. It's a very quick op and he should recover pretty quickly. Bitches take longer to get better as it's more complicated. I could get dh to give you the gory details as he's seen it done. I can't remember if our dogs had to wear that dreadful lampshade.

tabulahrasa Mon 10-Nov-14 11:55:25

He'll need a cone when he's alone or all the time if he's determined to get at the wound.

Walking, he should be fine to have on lead walks within a couple of days...but play it by ear and see how he goes.

Usually they're pretty normal as soon as the drugs are out of their systems and it's up to you to make sure they're not bounding about all over the place before it's actually healed.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 10-Nov-14 12:08:17

You should get a discharge sheet when you collect him detailing all this information and the veterinary nurse will run through it with you.

MelanieCheeks Mon 10-Nov-14 12:13:27

It's a very common procedure, and it's highly likely he'll get over the initial discomfort very quickly. If there are stitches that he might pick at, he'll need the cone of shame. But it's a temporary measure, only a few days. Likewise a few days of no or very short walks, but again, all being well he'll be back to himself before you know it.

JulietBravoJuliet Mon 10-Nov-14 16:14:03

My JRT was done 2 weeks ago and hasn't paid the slightest bit of attention to his stitches, so hasn't worn the cone at all. He was very dopey the first night, and a bit slower than usual the next day, but by the following day, I was struggling to stop him belting round the place like the crazy thing that he is! Keep him calm, they said... He didn't get that brief!!

shadowfax07 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:17:55

We used a girl's swimming costume on ours, with a hole cut out for his tail as every cone we put on him he defeated. I've heard of baby grows being used on smaller dogs too.

JustAShopGirl Mon 10-Nov-14 16:22:06

My Westie had an internal stitch did not have a cone (he was crated when young so could not have one and sleep in his bed). Paid no attention to the area, had shorter walks than normal, but was just fine.

moosemama Mon 10-Nov-14 16:42:20

My boy was done last Thursday. I was fully expecting him to be a real pain and need a cone of some sort - or boxer shorts, as per the excellent suggestion on here - but he's been fine and doesn't seem the slightest bit interested in his stitches so far.

As JulietBravoJuliet said, he was very dopey and sleepy the first night (dh slept downstairs with him just in case) very tired the next day and the day after that back to his usual self. Biggest problem is persuading him that his usual daily zoomie laps of the back garden are a bad idea.

He's on antibiotics and painkillers too, as he has separation anxiety and the daft dog decided he objected to being in the large open topped kennel the vets put him in and tried to jump over a 6 foot mesh wall to get out, injuring himself in several places and requiring more stitches. hmm

NCIS Mon 10-Nov-14 17:15:23

My dog was neutered at 7 months and waltzed out of the vets as if he's just been for tea, no cone needed but he was supervised constantly and crated when we weren't around and at night.

TheDowagerDuchessOfDinglyDell Mon 10-Nov-14 17:39:32

Oh phew. Thanks. He's crated when alone so that will be ok. Not sure about controlling the bouncing though.

moosemama Mon 10-Nov-14 17:49:48

Well my boy's done his fair share of bouncing (and zooming) despite me trying hard to keep him calm and his stitches are, as yet, still intact.

Good luck for next week. I'm sure he'll be fine.

MehsMum Mon 10-Nov-14 17:59:02

We gave ours a rawhide chew to distract him the night after he'd had his nads off and it worked like a charm. He really didn't seem to care.

That said, the next dog we get will be de-nadded at an older age. I think our lad might have benefitted from being a bit more mature before we had him 'done'.

TheDowagerDuchessOfDinglyDell Mon 10-Nov-14 18:02:01

Biggy is 20 months. And huge. And turning into a bolshie teenager. Definitely time for de-bollocking.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Mon 10-Nov-14 18:23:24

We collected SmallDog from rescue the day after he'd been done. They rang to say that due to a retained testicle it have been a bigger op than usual.
I turned up with a blanket to wrap him in so I could hold the poor weak thing on the way home.

He bounced out of the kennel, took a flying leap into the car and was full of life. If it hadn't been for the stitches I would not have believed he had been operated on the previous afternoon.
He didn't bother with his stitches so didn't need the cone of shame.

dorathedestroyer Mon 10-Nov-14 18:52:34

Big dog had his off at 18 months. I cried all the way home from the vets. Hours ticked by until I picked up a dopey, stoned-looking dog at the end of the day, then listened to him sing like Tom Jones after twenty pints all evening while he gazed forlornly up at me from under a blanket.

Next day, fine. Like they were never there.

When little dog had her spay, though - my God, did she milk that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now