Talk

Advanced search

Next door have just announced a fireworks party - advice?

(17 Posts)
Queenofknickers Sat 08-Nov-14 15:52:17

They kindly invited us but I said I'd need to stay with our 8 month old puppy/dog and 3 cats. I've got the diffuser, "calming" treats and some empty boxes around the house as bolt holes - anything else I can do? They are right next door, no gap. Although the dog and cats coped fine during the week with firework sounds, the noises were far away - I'm worried that this is going to freak them out totally. All tips gratefully received......

InfinitySeven Sat 08-Nov-14 15:57:09

When is the party? How much notice have they given you?

I'd sit in the room furthest away with the animals, to reduce the noise as much as possible. Poor things sad

marmaladegranny Sat 08-Nov-14 16:07:30

At least they have given you warning!
Shut the curtains, put the radio on fairly loud and they will probably be all right if they coped earlier this week, especially if you have double glazing. My puppy has only freaked out once this week and that was when he was caught outdoors.
Domestic fireworks do tend to be quieter than the big displays.
Good luck

moosemama Sat 08-Nov-14 16:37:34

As per marmaladegranny's advice, close the curtains, but I'd advise, putting something on (tv, radio etc) in each room if you can or at the very least the room you're in and the one next to it. Also get the washing machine going on a fast spin and stick the tumble drier on for good measure. As long as you remain calm and matter of fact, if they've coped ok so far, they'll probably be fine.

I'm lucky, as neither of the two dogs I have now are bothered by fireworks generally, but I have had a dog that was very badly affected in the past.

We had a professional display across the road from us last night, so did the above and neither dog even bothered lifting their heads. We have another professional display at the end of our road this evening, so I'll be doing the same again.

Queenofknickers Sat 08-Nov-14 16:43:04

Thanks everyone - looks like I'm going to get washing done, hoovering and watch X factor full blast!!!!

Cataline Sat 08-Nov-14 16:55:42

One of my cats completely freaked at the fireworks last weekend, running around growling- getting very distressed. On Wednesday we had the fire blasting as it was so chilly. She curled up in front of it before the fireworks started and didn't flinch once! Utterly bizarre!

TooMuchCantBreathe Sat 08-Nov-14 17:00:41

As above but also ignore it all completely. Don't start petting them to"calm thrm" or jumping up to see if they're ok at each bang. They'll look to your reaction as guidance so you acting all cat on a hot tin roof will make them worse not better. Calmly ignore everything and carry on as if it were any Saturday night.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 08-Nov-14 19:08:21

if you cant keep them off hard floors. if there is a bang and they get a fright they can scarper and hurt themselves and end up terrified of hard floors forever.

I have a lab that is very nervous coming into the kitchen as its too slippy and he panics himself (was fine before a fright of a firework last year)

Queenofknickers Sat 08-Nov-14 19:46:46

Poor dog barking her head off and running from one end of room to other as banging fireworks go off right over the fence. sad

Queenofknickers Sat 08-Nov-14 19:54:45

This is ridiculous - it is a massive amount of the biggest noisiest fireworks.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sat 08-Nov-14 20:02:33

Weve got a similar issue with the people 2 doors down except they didnt warn us and just started doing fireworks about 45mins ago and there still going angry

Luckily my dog is 10 and not really bothered by fireworks but even shes getting a bit antsy now, shes currently curled up on the sofa next to me (massive treat shes not usually allowed) and every so often looks up and wimpers sad

the poor rabbits were having a fit and they arent usually bothered either so they are currently curled in a box of straw in the conservatory.

kinkytoes Sat 08-Nov-14 20:06:44

We just had a massive rain shower which stopped all the ones round here. Fingers crossed the same happens for you!

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sat 08-Nov-14 20:11:23

Its been raining here since 6 doesnt seem to have stopped the idiots!

neighbours on the other side 2 doors down have just started too, its going to be a long night.

crapcrapcrapcrap Sat 08-Nov-14 20:44:15

sad

If I'd seen this earlier I'd have advised you to pile them into the car (cats in boxes obviously) and go for a drive before the time they were setting them off. What a shame sad

Queenofknickers Sat 08-Nov-14 21:10:47

Crapcrap - your username is very apt - cat and dog are producing mounds of this in terror. I'm considering going to my neighbours window at 2 am and screaming BANG

SistersOfPercy Sun 09-Nov-14 00:21:42

We had our late westie not long before bonfire night, this was back in the day where you got a little box complete with crap Catherine wheel.
On the night we sat in the garden, pup on my knee and watched the fireworks. He never flinched and throughout his life I was very fortunate that he was never bothered and was happy to sit and watch.

We had our new pup last year and made a point of opening all the Windows on yeanewyearse and holding him to let him see and hear. We've been really fortunate again that he's not been bothered at all by it.

Mum's dog is a different story....I've downloaded a CD of fireworks and she's going to play it every few days now to try and desensitize him to them because he goes potty at the smallest bang.

Hope it's all gone quiet for you now queen.

kinkytoes Sun 09-Nov-14 06:39:39

I posted this on another thread but some of you may be interested too. It's a petition to ban to sale of fireworks to the general public.

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71570

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now