Talk

Advanced search

How clever is your dog?

(11 Posts)
lougle Fri 07-Nov-14 19:53:03

So I posted about my dog opening windows. Clever enough. But I was astounded yesterday:

He'd escaped out of the front door and I'd managed to herd him back onto the driveway, where he ran behind my car. My car was reversed onto the drive.

I decided to wait because if I approached from one side, he could run down the other. So I waited..... and waited.

When I got fed up waiting, I crept up one side of the car, to see that he was stood still with his head down, listening for signs as to which way I was coming shock

He'd obviously worked out that I couldn't approach from both sides at the same time.

Clever wotsitgrin

LoathsomeDrab Fri 07-Nov-14 22:02:45

In an evening if DWhippet1 has missed out on getting a spot on the sofa he'll pretend to be having a fabulous time with a toy then as soon as one of the others gets off to see what's so much fun he'll nip into their spot grin

DWhippet2 has a very similar trick which involves standing by the living room door looking like he wants to go out. As soon as a human gets up to let him through he's straight into their vacated seat with a "Hmmm? Who? Me? Don't know what you're talking about." look on his face hmm

lougle Fri 07-Nov-14 22:03:23

grin

CMOTDibbler Fri 07-Nov-14 22:13:03

Ddog is rather lacking in brain - for instance anything which goes under the sofa has disappeared as far as he is concerned. He has never realised you can stick your nose in the partially opened patio door and make it more open.

Dpuppy is rather brighter though. He takes his fleece housecoat off when he is too warm. DH feels this may be that ddog never feels too hot though

youbethemummylion Fri 07-Nov-14 22:15:34

Ddog is a dog of very little brain apart from in the sofa spot stealing department in which she is considered both gifted and talented.

poorbuthappy Fri 07-Nov-14 22:20:09

Furry girl is usually very clever apart from this:
She goes berserk when the doorbell goes-fine it's part of her job to bark.
But now when we've been out for a walk and whomever is holding her rings the doorbell whilst waiting for key person to amble up the drive she still barks.
Yes I have a guard dog who barks even though she's outside the house.

lougle Fri 07-Nov-14 22:28:20

Patch goes loopy when the post man comes. I have to let him through to the front door so he can see what's come and inspect the letter box. He lifts the flap with his nose and sniffs all four corners before satisfying himself all is well. hmm

MothershipG Fri 07-Nov-14 22:30:13

I think it's really interesting that my 3 use different tactics to achieve the same result.

So if a door is closed and they want it open DD1 will nudge it with her her nose but if that doesn't work she progresses from a quiet rumbling to a bark to communicate that she wants the door opened.

DD2 will scratch at the door then dance in a circle then yip.

DD3 is more dexterous and if there is just a tiny gap he will hook his tiny paw round and pull it towards him or he'll bounce off it until it bounces open, if neither of these work he yips.

So they all achieve the goal of getting the door open they just use different strategies to achieve it. grin

livelablove Fri 07-Nov-14 22:35:39

My dog is clearly a genius as she has worked out that if someone says "hello" to her when we are out she can go over for a fuss. She does know the word as she once went over to someone this way when they said hello to someone on their phone. Shows how many people say "hello" to dogs.

tabulahrasa Sat 08-Nov-14 01:06:51

Mine watched the cats pull the door open with their paws, every day...shoves it with his nose and then looks completely confuddled as to why that shut it instead, every, single, day hmm

If you put something he's playing with on his own neck, it's gone...

You know how most dogs when they have to wear the cone of shame get a bit stuck sometimes? So they back up and try from a different angle?... Not mine he just keeps going until something breaks.

So um, no, he's not clever at all, lol.

He's great to train though, he can pick up a new command in about ten minutes and remember it the next day, even a chain of four actions from one command.

I mean he can't even scratch his own head, just misses and waves his back paw in the air a bit near it...but he can empty my washing machine, rofl.

I think I quite like stupid but trainable.

FruitCakey Sat 08-Nov-14 01:19:02

Uhm, he will take his plate out once in a while, take huge shites in the toilet but won't clean the skid marks. He doesn't pick up after himself so he loses a few brownie points there, he might help DS with his homework once in a while... maybe!

By dog, you do mean husband no? grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now