Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have a dog who is determined to sit out in the rain?

(9 Posts)
Takver Thu 06-Nov-14 09:14:52

DDog likes to lay on the lawn in the garden where he can watch the world go by. Which is fine when it's good weather, but right now there's horizontal rain and - yet again - he's managed to sneak out when someone opened the door. DH even built him an open fronted kennel, but would he sit in it . . . (it eventually became a rather small play house for dd grin )

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Thu 06-Nov-14 09:16:54

Ha! Bless him, he obviously likes keeping an eye on the neighbourhood! Mine won't even look out the door if it's raining ...

Takver Thu 06-Nov-14 09:22:06

He does indeed! But he's 14 and has arthritis, it really isn't good for him - but you'd think I'm the cruellest dog owner ever when I make him come indoors in the warm and the dry.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Thu 06-Nov-14 10:22:41

What kind of dog is he? Is he a working breed, made to be tough? Mine is a terrier type, and waterproof, but he doesn't like getting rained on - give him a stinky river or pond and he's straight in there though! He's on weekly showers at the moment with all the mud.

Takver Thu 06-Nov-14 11:05:20

He's part Husky, so he does have amazing underfur, and doesn't really get wet down to the skin. To be honest, if we'd let him, he'd basically live outdoors.

Takver Thu 06-Nov-14 11:07:07

He's now asleep in the living room under suffrance. DH is at work, his mate's collie will go sit in the barn if it's raining, ddog is here with me as otherwise he'll come home dripping and stiff.

moosemama Thu 06-Nov-14 17:00:10

My old Belgian Terv x Border Collie would lie out in all weathers, rain, hail, sleet or snow. She was even known to almost disappear under the snow whilst lying in the middle of the lawn, but nothing could persuade her inside. She also preferred lying on the quarry tiles to anything soft or warm.

Being a mix of two working sheepdog breeds and having a super thick double coat she simply didn't feel the cold and loved being outdoors.

The only time it changed was when she got osteosarcoma at the age of 14. We knew something was wrong when she stopped wanting to be outside all day. sad

TheVeryThing Thu 06-Nov-14 17:07:08

Our 11 year old labrador has tunneled a home for herself in the hedge and will stay out in all night, if she gets the chance.
She has arthritis as well so it really can't be good for her. She will often spend the evening in the sitting room in front of the stove, and then escape to the hedge as soon as the front door is opened and nothing will lure her out again.

Takver Thu 06-Nov-14 21:52:26

We have the tiles-not-bed thing, too, Moosemama. In fact, we used to stop ddog sleeping on the half landing on the stairs by putting the nice fat squashy warm dog bed there.

(That was after the vet suggested that a softer bed might help his joints - well it would if he'd sleep on it grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now